Creature feeding/mating and breeding behaviors?

FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
I saw on the trello that they're planning on adding eggs for the various creatures. But I wonder if they're planning on adding other things to make the game more realistic and more immersive. Peepers swimming arounf and occasionally jumping out of the water is all fine and good, but what about the biological aspects of these creatures lives? like food and babbies.

For example, when feeding.

I imagine Peepers as filter feeders, where they open their mouths as they swim through the water and collect microscopic plankton.

Garryfish, I imagine as predators that would settle down and wait for something smaller to pass by, then gulp it up, kinda like frogfish IRL

Boomerangs have those big freaky teeth so I'd imagine they'd be grazers, feeding on algae or maybe like RL Parrotfish, taking chunks out of coral and eating the tiny critters inside.

Airsacks might also be filter feeders.

Hoverfish, with their cute little salamander faces look like they might also be ambush predators, hiding in the creepvine and waiting for small critters to pass by.

Hoopfish look like they'd be fast, so as to actively pursue their prey.

Rabbit rays look like they'd behave similar to RL rays, slowly swimming over the bottom, using their magical echolocation to find prey buried in the sand.

Stalkers, bone sharks, sand sharks and Reapers are self explanitory o3o.

For the baby making.

I imagine that Peepers would gather in large groups to spawn and then lay their eggs in the sand for protection.

Garryfish might pair up and lay their eggs on the sides of rock walls then stick around to protect them from other fish until they hatch.

Airsacks would probably lay their eggs on strands of creepvine and then abandon them.

Boomerangs, I imagine would lay their eggs on coral.

Hoverfish, I imagine as laying something similar to frogspawn, a big blob of eggs stuck to to the creepvine as well.

Hoopfish might be a type that just casts their eggs into the current and whatever happens happens.

Stalkers, for some reason(which you almost always see them in pairs) I imagine might pair up, then build a nest out of scrap metal and lay their eggs in the center of the pile (maybe even if you found one of these nests and started taking the metal, you'd find the eggs) then both parents would actively defend the eggs and then raise the young once they hatched until they were old enough to take care of themselves.

Bonesharks might carry their eggs around with them? glued to their backs or bellies.

Sand sharks, I could see digging pits or even tunnels in the sand and laying their eggs at the bottom.

and Reapers =O

Would lay their eggs on the sides of wrecks and then defend them.

Yeh, nay?

Good idears?

Comments

• Wolf2000Wolf2000 Join Date: 2015-03-14 Member: 202116Members
    edited March 2015
    They aren't too bad of ideas. though I had always imagined Airsacks keeping their eggs inside them until birth and you can see their eggs due to them being transparent

Also I don't see why any of those tiny fish should be predators since it is the safe shallows after all ;) poor garry. what did he ever do to be called a monster?
  • AutochtonAutochton Sweden Join Date: 2015-03-20 Member: 202358Members
    Wolf2000 wrote:
    Also I don't see why any of those tiny fish should be predators since it is the safe shallows after all poor garry. what did he ever do to be called a monster?

In the ocean, apart from a few kelp-grazing species, almost everything is a predator. it's just a question of prey size. A garry might be a terror to inch-long creatures, but nothing much bigger than that. Hardly a major threat to the player. (Comparatively, the bass and trout in some of the waters I swam in as a kid are predatory too, but they never bit me...:))

Hoverfish are weird to me. They indicate that any terrestrial vertebrates we see are likely to be six-limbed, for once thing, being comparable to the animals that were ancestors to the first tetrapods. Also, they're relatively slow and a bit ungainly, but I would imagine they're good at things like clinging to rocks, digging in sand, or the like?
    well to be fair though. I feel like only the creator of anything from a character to a made up fish can decide what it eats and its body works. so it is up to the devs to fix that part up ;)
    @Wolf2000 Eh, I'm more a 'death of the writer' type, who thinks a work can stand on its own legs, or fall on them as it were. I'm hugely happy with the biotope in Subnautica, it feels authentic and solid. I think it can be further improved, but what's there, at this early stage, is really good. I do think there's room for us as players and idea-spewers (given the early stage of the game) to examine the parts of the game we see and try and suss out what each creature is. I know from personal experience (my wife is an author) how important it is that a creator get extra eyes on their work to see if the impression the work gives is what they hoped for, and to check that it all works.

I mean, when I look at the peeper, I sorta go, "but where's the rest of its eyes? There isn't room for eyes that big!" But then I think, "What might be the purpose of eyes that large and shallow? They wouldn't have room for much other than the visible surface..." and that's interesting to me, because then I start putting ideas together for why its eyes are like that, what are the effects, what might cause the evolution of something like that... Is fun. :)
    well if I look at a picture of garry, I personally don't see it as a predator but rather a filter feeder. it is defiantly true that the community's word on whether or not something in the game is good. subnautica has been benefiting from that for a while

that said though everything is a matter of opinion right now and in my opinion, non of those little fish seem like predators except for the biter fish, mesmer and maybe hoop-fish, but since only 1/3 of those are in the shallows I would say they live up to their name
    Yeah, I can see the hoop-fish. Big mouth like that, looks to have teeth - makes some sense as a swimming predator. I'm interested in what role the hoops on it might play there. Sensory organs? Deterrents against its own predators (its inability to fend off the player seems to counter-indicate that)? Could be a number of weird things.

With the garryfish, I mostly wonder about the stalk eyes. They're crablike, and combined with the flat underside of it seems to indicate that it settles to the bottom surface a lot, maybe even digs itself into the sand. That doesn't say filter-feeder - that feeding strategy would be best served by energy-efficient swimming with open mouth through plankton, possibly in large shoals like Earth forage fish. The garry seems more like a bottom-resting creature, which indicates waiting for an opportunity to feed - i.e. ambush.
    Re. stalkers: Scrap metal from the wreck of the Aurora most likely represents a supernormal stimulus for them. Maybe they normally use shards of coral or other colorful materials, but the shiny and colorful metal pieces hold far more attraction to them. Maybe they're like bower birds, the nest being the way the one sex attracts a mate?

Re. reapers: IDK about the sides of wrecks. Seems a bit arbitrary, especially given that there aren't any wrecks before Aurora comes down (as far as we know, anyway). As for their eating habits, use those big scythe-like things to grab onto reefbacks (and other large mostly-placid animals) and eat them?
  • DavycannonhoundDavycannonhound Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201527Members
    I'm not sure the idea about the Reaper makes sense, but I love the rest.
    I think the reapers are under the control of the intelligent sea-emperor and he sees them as important so he commands them to guard the wreckage so his warpers can do something about them