New experimental features break save files

Gr4pheneGr4phene Germany Join Date: 2015-03-05 Member: 201731Members
edited March 2015 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
I played a bit with the newest experimental build and noticed you can craft a radiation suit. So I crafted one and went to the Aurora because I was protected from the radiation now. When I went close, the ship exploded. After that I found the mysterious supply crate on the small island. I looted it, saved the game and closed it to see if it would refill. But when I started the game again, there was no "Continue game" option, only the "New game" option, even though the save file was still there. When I replaced it with a very old backup, I could continue the game as normal. I don't know what exactly causes the corruption, I'll have to further investigate that. But it makes me very sad because I already put seven hours into this save and had a lot of stuff.

Comments

• Gr4pheneGr4phene Germany Join Date: 2015-03-05 Member: 201731Members
    I found out that all save files from the newest snapshot are broken. I loaded that old backup and saved it again without doing anything, and it can't be loaded anymore.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Sorry about that, Bad things can happen to saves on teh experimental branch. The Devs are trying to keep them working as much as they can but in the blur of adding GIANT EXPLOSIONS, things aoccasionally slip through the cracks.

On the plus side, there is progress on the save front, Api changes are going in to support multiple saves
  • Gr4pheneGr4phene Germany Join Date: 2015-03-05 Member: 201731Members
    Awesome! Until then, I have to remind myself to backup my save everytime I start playing so this doesn't happen again, and luckily there's cheats to easily restore your progress.