15170 - Mar 15
Normal Game Version (Steam) - Not Experimental
Survival Mode

System Details

Windows 7 Professional
32-GB RAM
Nvidia GTX680

Description

Upon loading the game where I had a Seamoth; the game loads where I am swimming within the Seamoth mesh with about 40 seconds of oxygen, despite have two air tanks. The Seamoth has incidentally become a ghost which can be swam right through and is not enterable as a normal ship object. If I resave the game and then reload again, the Seamoth is now completely gone - no mesh - nothing.

This will happen everytime I create a new Seamoth, and I have found that I do not even have to be in the Seamoth for the effect to happen. If I am for example within the Cyclops or my seabase, upon the first load the Seamoth will be there but as a ghost mesh, the second load will cause the Seamoth to dissapear completely.

This is a new bug in the sense it just started happening out of the blue for an unknown reason. Within the early stages of my game the Seamoth was persistent but at this point in my game the Seamoth has become unstable for whatever reason, which is a shame because I have achieved quite a bit at this point and now feel I will have to restart it.

Reproduction steps

Save the game after getting a Seamoth whilst within it or not then reload that save. For me this will now happen EVERY TIME.

Youtube Video Example

Note: The video performance issues displayed within the game was caused by Fraps. When not recording gameplay, Subnautica runs like a dream. Stupid Fraps :[

Comments

• DablinDablin New Zealand Join Date: 2015-03-22 Member: 202432Members
    edited March 2015
    UPDATE

I backed up my save files. Found them under a folder called "Test" - hilarious.

After starting a new game I spawned myself a Seamoth for testing and found that if I save the game whilst within it, as I reload the game I will spawn outside and usually underneath the ship, but I can still re-enter it as normal so things aren't so bad.

I also tried saving whilst outside of the ship and found that loading the game came in as normal.

If the developers at anypoint want the original save files from where the previously mentioned ghosting bug occurs let me know, but you may need to be a bit file specific as I noted that the folder contains 617MB of files (I've got games smaller then this :) )
  • SeabottomSeabottom Denmark Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202392Members
    That sure is strange. BTW, the reason why your video is lagging is because your drive cannot write fast enough to keep up with the amount of data fraps is writing to it. Also, if you have an Nvidia card, I suggest that you use Shadowplay instead.
    Seabottom wrote: »
    That sure is strange. BTW, the reason why your video is lagging is because your drive cannot write fast enough to keep up with the amount of data fraps is writing to it. Also, if you have an Nvidia card, I suggest that you use Shadowplay instead.

Yeah your probably right. My computer does have two SSDs in it but I purposely write things like video data to an external usb harddrive because I have in inate paranoia about SSDs and don't wish to wear them out by writing/deleting large volumes of data to it over a short period of time.
  • SMRobustSMRobust Vancouver Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202465Members
    edited March 2015
    I've had a similar issue but found out that when the Seamoth is ghosting, it is "docked" to the Cyclops, by returning to the Cyclops and clicking the empty dock I am warped back to the ghosting Seamoth that was way off in another biome, with everything working as normal.

On the off chance that it's the same bug as yours, you could reproduce it by spawning a Cyclops, docking and undocking a Seamoth, saving inside the Seamoth, then loading your save.
    edited March 2015
    SMRobust wrote: »
    I've had a similar issue but found out that when the Seamoth is ghosting, it is "docked" to the Cyclops, by returning to the Cyclops and clicking the empty dock I am warped back to the ghosting Seamoth that was way off in another biome, with everything working as normal.

On the off chance that it's the same bug as yours, you could reproduce it by spawning a Cyclops, docking and undocking a Seamoth, saving inside the Seamoth, then loading your save.

You are right! Everytime the Seamoth is spawned in as a ghost ship I can re-enter it from within the Cyclops and regain control. After several saving tests I found that the Seamoth does not seem to want to lose its reference to the Cyclops docking port - and I think that is the actual problem right there.

I believe the game is having difficulty establishing the Seamoth's current internal vehicle object location for the save file. It would seem the external mesh is restored correctly at the new co-ordinates but the Seamoth's internal vehicle object is forced saved back into the Cyclops docking port for whatever reason.

Is it possible to outright destroy the Cyclops? I mean completely as a game object? I would like to destroy it as harsh as that sounds and see how the old Seamoth deals with that respective to its save location.

UPDATE

I tried using a second Cyclops I spawned in to attempt to break the reference by docking the Seamoth at the new ship. Didn't work. The original Cyclops refuses to let go of the Seamoth. Talk about over possessive :D