Hotplugging USB sound card renders the game unresponsive

MalkContentMalkContent Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
As title. I can imagine that this affects a couple of fellow players who have a gaming keyboard that offers sockets for your headset.
Not a terribly important thing and I don't demand support for a redetection of the main audio device on hotplugging, but it'd be nice if it doesn't end up in taskmanager takedowns, loss of progress and overall sadness :c

Comments

• straskstrask Arizona Join Date: 2015-03-17 Member: 202257Members
    I am using a Roccat Kulo USB sound card and do NOT experience that issue; perhaps it is more specific to the model you use?

I can repeatedly unplug and re-plug my USB sound card (with my headphones plugged into it and set as the default audio device) and it just works. When the Kulo is plugged in, audio comes out of my headphones. When not, audio comes out of my TV speakers (via the hdmi connection).
  • terrystricklterrystrickl pakistan Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202926Members
    Some people are not able to start the game right now. ... and a discrete graphics card, make sure running the game on the ... Sound effects not working ... via USB, it might be that the gamepad hotplugging is interfering with ...
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2015
    @MalkContent
    Can you get a log file of the hang? Basically start the game, pull teh plug kill the process, and post the log at <SN>/Subnautica_data/output_log.txt somewhere before you run the game again. You might also try updating your driver since something similar works for other people:)

@terrystrickl
    you should try the instructions here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/3/618456760257528570/
  • PhalaguimPhalaguim Scotland Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203026Members
    edited April 2015
    If you're having usb problems, I'd suggest you first update your bios, then your motherboard drivers. specifically the usb bus and support architecture drivers. Could be you're using old default motherboard drivers.

Many In Development Games, use specific exacting requirements, which are relaxed after launch. These requirements aren't a choice by the devs.. When makes a new game you start with limited tools.. just like a new player in the game. Everything in life is a game..

So we the gamers, need to keep our stuff uptodate, just like we keep ourselves uptodate when playing. (coffee, coffee, coffee)