Vulkan & Natural Selection 2

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2015
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Mantle's come to an end now hasn't it? It was great as it served as a push for Microsoft to get DirectX 12 improvements out!

It was just released something. I really did not think it would come.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/210328/amd-releases-mantle-programming-guide-and-reference-api.html
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    krOoze wrote: »
    devel wrote: »
    btw, the glNext has an official name 'Vulkan' starting from this week.
    Which seems to be Mantle in disguise :p

No, Mantle is completely different thing.
    (and completely useless)
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Mantle's come to an end now hasn't it? It was great as it served as a push for Microsoft to get DirectX 12 improvements out!

AMD's pretty much encouraging devs to focus on dx12

http://community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd-gaming/blog/2015/03/02/on-apis-and-the-future-of-mantle
  • krOozekrOoze Join Date: 2014-04-24 Member: 195593Members
    Not so completely...
    AMD(community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd-gaming/blog/2015/03/03/one-of-mantles-futures-vulkan): "The cross-vendor Khronos Group has chosen the best and brightest parts of Mantle to serve as the foundation for “Vulkan,” the exciting next version of the storied OpenGL API."
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2015
    @krOoze Not exactly..

Vulkan seems to be significantly better in multiple ways.
    Combine that with recent doubts from certain developers regarding practical limitations of DX12 and it makes Vulkan appear even more advantageous.
    I would be very excited as a developer or as a consumer, especially considering the weight Valve is putting behind it.

Maybe eventually one of the very talented CDT members like @computerquip would able to implement this in NS2, seeing as how backwards compatible it claims to be.
    Who knows yet how difficult it actually is, though.. X_X
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Also keep in mind, Vulcan (and dx12) will be most advantegous if they are used the way they are supposed to be used, which means, multiple threads feeding the GPU with work. This is not the way the ns2 engine is currently designed, simply because dx9 (the main renderer) works best with a single thread. But its indeed exciting. Just needs somebody to actually implement it..
    edited March 2015
    No I think it would be essentialy the same thing, but the discussion is moot because both mantle and vulkan hasn't been released yet. Vulkan will get wider adoption from Khronos though, than Mantle would ever have. That's what is important, and that they will be developing it over time. But that's a political change. Well yes on technical level, for now they swapped HLSL in mantle for GLSL in Vulkan(who cares..) and added multiplatform Intermediate language(more of a bonus for driver developers than added value for end user. In the end Khronos itself would now have to provide GLSL compiler instead and maybe they will enlist help from AMD NV INTEL for that too again, so little change.).

I am not talking about DX12. They will probably try to walk the fine line between optimalizations and backward compatibility.

Good for you. Just implement it, if you feel like it. But you already do DX9, DX11, OpenGL (and PhysX). That's one serious multitasking. Seriously, pick one and stick with it :P Any chance of DX11 comming out of the eternal beta? Maybe do OpenCL, DirectCompute, DX10, Bullet,Havok and CUDA, to have the full set :D

I think Vulkan will be simple/easy to learn and hard to master. Something like a OpenGL 1/2 -> OpenGL 3/4 switch. They suddenly stoped doing math for you and you did have to learn it. In Vulkan you probably would have to learn how to organize memory and command stream yourself to see the promised benefits.
    edited March 2015
    Not so completely...
    AMD(community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd-gaming/blog/2015/03/03/one-of-mantles-futures-vulkan): "The cross-vendor Khronos Group has chosen the best and brightest parts of Mantle to serve as the foundation for “Vulkan,” the exciting next version of the storied OpenGL API."

Yes, there needs to be at least something to save AMD's face. =)
    Either continue Mantle or abandon it and join another project while 'bringing the best ideas'.

Dota 2 on Source 2 engine, running on a toaster with Intel graphics:
    edited March 2015
    ^^^ Also: "Would not be possible without Mantle. Thanks AMD" at GDC from Khronos group. Lot of face-saving must be going on... I think others are saving face by accepting it silently under new name.
    Correction from a presentation, published 16 hours ago: Vulkan is indeed Mantle adopted by Khronos Group as a successor to the OpenGL and GLES.
    ^^^ Yesss! Do I get argument victory forum badge? :)>-
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2015
    Either continue Mantle or abandon it and join another project while 'bringing the best ideas'.

Join another project? You are aware how many companies/acedemics and individual contributors are involved with the Khronos group aren't you? It is not something AMD have just joined haha, OpenGL has been around for quite a while now...

If you are not aware who is involved, maybe take a look at this list? I've highlighted a few of the companies you may have heard of.
    Khronos current membership
    Academic
    China Academy of Telecommunication Research of MIIT
    Columbia University
    ETRI
    Imperial College London
    ITRI
    Korea University
    National Taiwan University
    National Tsing Hua University
    Nihon University
    Oregon State University
    Politecnico di Milano
    Seoul National University
    Universita di Bologna
    University of Bristol
    University of Cambridge
    University of Toronto
    Contributor
    3D Incorporated
    Adobe
    Advanced Driver Information Technology
    Altera Corporation
    Amazon Corporate LLC
    Axell Corporation
    Axis Communications AB
    Beijing Pinecone Electronics Co., Ltd.
    Blizzard Entertainment Inc
    Broadcom Corporation
    Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
    CEVA
    Codeplay Software Limited
    CogniVue Corporation
    Continental Automotive GmbH
    Core Avionics & Industrial
    Dassault Systemes
    Digital Media Professionals
    Electronic Arts, Inc.
    Ericsson AB
    Freescale Semiconductor
    Fujitsu Limited
    Futuremark Oy
    FXGear, Inc.
    Google, Inc.
    Harmonic, Inc.
    Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd.
    Kaleido Technology
    KDAB Ltd.
    Kishonti Kft.
    Kyungpook National University
    LG Electronics
    Linaro Limited
    Los Alamos National Laboratory
    Lucasfilm Ltd, LLC
    Matrox Graphics, Inc
    MediaTek Inc
    Mentor Graphics UK Ltd.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Mobica Ltd
    Movidius Ltd
    Mozilla Corporation
    MulticoreWare Inc.
    NEC Solution Innovators, Ltd.
    Oculus VR, Inc.
    Oxide Games
    Panasonic
    Pixar
    Realtime Technology AG
    Renesas Electronics
    RICOH COMPANY LTD
    Rightware Oy
    Smith Micro Software, Inc.
    Symbio
    Synopsys, Inc.
    Takumi Corporation
    Texas Instruments
    ThinCI
    Think Silicon
    Tobii Technology AB
    Toshiba
    TransGaming Inc.
    Valve Corporation
    Verisilicon Holdings, Co. Ltd.
    VIA Alliance Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    Visteon Corporation
    VMware, Inc
    Wargaming (Austin), Inc.
    Xilinx, Inc.
    zSpace, Inc.
    Executives
    Gold Standard Group
    Individual Contributor
    AJ Guillon
    Andrew Brownsword
    Ben Gaster
    Bruce Merry
    Dan Ginsburg
    Erik Noreke
    Fabien Cellier
    Fabrice Robinet
    Frank Brill
    John Kessenich
    Jon Leech
    Kari Pulli
    Mark Callow
    Mikael Bourges-Sevenier
    Miller & Mattson. LLC
    Patrick Cozzi
    Perey Research & Consulting
    Rob Manson
    Tim Lewis
    Tomasz Bednarz
    Tony Parisi
    Promoter
    AMD
    Apple, Inc.
    ARM Limited
    Epic Games, Inc.
    Imagination Technologies
    Intel
    NOKIA OYJ
    NVIDIA Corporation
    QUALCOMM
    Samsung Electronics
    Sony Corporation
    Vivante Corporation
    edited March 2015
    Well, that you are written on some list means little. Microsoft hasn't done much I think. Apple can't even be bothered to update OpenGL to recent version. But AMD, NVIDIA, Intel and some toolmakers and game makers are aboard and actively participating. We can only hope Vulkan will be the one API rules them all again :)
    Oh and ARM seems to be active, so hopefully we will have proper Vulkan in phones and tablets, not some Vulkan ES nonsense.
    edited March 2015
    @Soul_Rider, wow ur jumpy!
    Do you know the difference between words 'project' and 'group'? :)
    (btw, I've been here for a long time and coded in Delphi with OpenGL v1)
    AMD, NVIDIA, Intel, ARM

Yes, the point is that nobody explicitly states any kind of vendor lock-in.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    ^^^ Yesss! Do I get argument victory forum badge? :)>-
    Nope! ;)
    Because Vulkan is not masquerading as Mantle in disguse, nor is Mantle being ported into OpenGL Next awkwardly - there are some important differences imo.

The game developer can write their source code in pretty much any language they want. Not only does this decrease shader compilation time, because SPIR-V is pre-compiled, but this probably means that a SPIR-V shader will be much more simple than either GLSL or HLSL. It can also disable most of the error checking for production code, rather than having the API look over the game code's shoulder.
    Also, unlike Mantle which was only available under AMD catalyst drivers and Microsoft Windows 7 or 8, Vulkan is compatible with any hardware that supports OpenGL ES 3.1, (meaning even smartphones, computer tablets, video game consoles and PDAs - and any desktop GPU from Geforce 400 series onwards) and can support any OS including Linux, iOS, SteamOS, Android - should the graphics vendor choose to support it.

I think Mantle just helped bring the topic to the foreground and spur what was clearly the needed next step in the industry to resolve the untapped potential of our hardware / the current bottlenecks.

edited March 2015
    Mantle was supposed to be open and inclusive too... They simply gave it to Khronos (and probably Microsoft too), they done few months job on it and announced it as Vulkan, if I put it overly bluntly. They wanted to do new GL when Mantle appeared as anybody else in the industry, but they had nothing at the time. Yes, there are some (necessary) changes HLSL->GLSL. SPIR-V instead of driver dependent IR. And they will continue to change it to make everybody on the board happy. I guess we will see the differences soon enough. Mantle reference should be released this month and Vulkan "later this year"(though we got some sneak peaks here and there what they got now).

Shader compilation is uninportatnt for end user. You need to do it only on installation or GPU/driver change. Ok, we are lazy, let's do it on loading screen (remember that 5 min long loading screen where you load all the textures from disk? You can compile your shaders during that in parallel if you are bothered by the added 2 secs or so). Hell, you can compile it while user is staring at the server list to choose where they gonna play. But hey, it's nice they fixed it this way. I always considered the runtime compiler in GPU driver in OpenGL stupid...
    The real bonus is that you don't have to ship your shader source codes. The danger on the other hand is the optimization is spread between the interpreter and compiler. If your game vendor won't update his game, you may not benefit from new GPU and new GPU drivers as much.

PS: They are talking a lot about "compute", so it would be nice if this API would replace OpenCL too in time.
    Sounds like it's actually pulling from OpenCL 2.1 ..
    But yea I agree with ya :)
    Well, they released OpenCL 2.1 about now too. But yeah, I could see some things from OpenCL 2, like the whole Command buffer thing and the SPIR.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Remember how NS2 is still in development?
    Remember how NS2 received proper DX11 support in the first place?
    Remember how Mantle was added to NS2?
    Yeah, me neither.
    Mission accomplished. Please, rename this topic to something with Vulkan in it. :)
    Yes, that's settled. We want Vulkan!
    Now what about that quantum processors support and supplanting real player base with true AIs? :D
    On a more serious note, what about those VR helmets support? That looks relatively easy...
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Does NS2 even work well on DX11?

Yes absolutely. Only one crash (since DX11 was available) and I'm not sure of it's origin.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    DX11 in ns2 doesn't really work well. Leads to massive hitching, especially with the shotgun. I think it's been taken out now anyways.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    My laptop has no issues in 9 but suffers from 1 second freezes in dx11 regularly. On my desktop zero issues with either though.
    edited March 2015
    BTW, for those sickos who like that kind of stuff (450 pages - admit it you like that, don't ya?), Mantle documentation got public ;) : amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/mantle#downloads
    Get a whiff what it and Vulkan will be actually about! As promised it shall deliver more responsibility for the developer and more performance and bugs for the end-user. :P
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    BTW, for those sickos who like that kind of stuff (450 pages - admit it you like that, don't ya?), Mantle documentation got public ;) : amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/mantle#downloads
    Get a whiff what it and Vulkan will be actually about! As promised it shall deliver more responsibility for the developer and more performance and bugs for the end-user. :P

@KrOoze do you mean more performance and less bugs for the end-user, or really more of both??
    Both! Certainly untill the drivers and engines using it settle... Also the API as I said gives more responsibility to the dev, that is more opportunities to f up bad, without even knowing you f'ed up bad. On the other hand there seems to be some debugging tools effort. I was always not very happy with debugging tools choices in ol' OpenGL, so maybe they will do better this time...
  • BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bit of a rez here, but I'm gaming on Linux, and NS2 runs good enough for now. I'd love to see Vulkan though so I can get some seriously mad FPS! My Windows brethren meanwhile are having fun getting like 120-200 FPS :(
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    BloodyIron wrote: »
    Bit of a rez here, but I'm gaming on Linux, and NS2 runs good enough for now. I'd love to see Vulkan though so I can get some seriously mad FPS! My Windows brethren meanwhile are having fun getting like 120-200 FPS :(

If we add Vulkan support, your "Windows brethren" would also see that speed boost. :)