Whatever happened to http://ns2bans.com/ ?

FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
Just looked through some old forum posts and saw that site being referred to if someone wanted to name+shame or discuss hacking/cheating. When I went to the site though, it looks like it had been taken down?

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2015
    Just looked through some old forum posts and saw that site being referred to if someone wanted to name+shame or discuss hacking/cheating. When I went to the site though, it looks like it had been taken down?

That site was only live and used for a short while. Generally it was a good idea but was missing the needed "usage comfort" to become really popular and successful.

Even though many popular community members did promote it back then.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    When I used to attempt to run a server, I banned those who were on the ns2 bans list. I kept the ns2 id's too for in case I ever ran another server.

On a side note, the only cheater I have for sure seen in ns2 I recorded a video and reported it to them. I found out he was already reported many times before me too.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It kind of stopped being useful after we found all the hackers
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff

All the hackers? ...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Pelargir wrote: »

All the hackers? ...

1+1=3 for sufficiently large values of 1
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yup.. basically.
    It was well vetted, and worked as intended... and eventually just ran out of submissions from people until the site was no longer paid for ;)

There are still steam groups out there for server admins that can be utilized to serve a similar function should they decide to.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Usually from what I see it'll be one guy or two every now and then. They'll have their fun for a night or two just running through the servers until they get banned from all of 'em. Maybe the VAC ban kicks in a month later, but at that point the fun is over and the cheaters/trolls go back their homes in TF2 and DayZ.

Remember, kids. Admins are your friends. Love them, appreciate them, sleep with their picture under their pillow. Keep them well informed and they'll do better than VAC every time.