The discussion of harvesting, combat and Survival in Subnautica + Defence ideas

Natedog731Natedog731 Canada Join Date: 2015-02-15 Member: 201366Members
Hey all of you aquanauts, I've been lurking on the forums a good bit after I managed to sink my cyclops by accident after 2 hours of gameplay on my 3rd try, so I've come across a few topics of interest over the development of the game.

Combat, killing and Violence.
I've seen a few user comment about their dislike of violence and combat within Subnautica and I find that totally OK. But I feel that it shouldn't be pushed towards the point where someone requested to get the knife cut from the game just because it felt "more violent" and "disruptive" to have around.

A knife is one of man's greatest tools, able to solve many problems with much more ease than bare hands. In-game, it's required to harvest specific resources(Vines, Coral, Membranes) and is one of the earliest methods of defending your life. Certain animals attack you because you can be either one of two things: Predator or Prey, and the only effective way you can fight in early game is with a knife. Hostile animals are a dangerous obstacle in your progression and one of the only ways to progress is to eliminate them, whether you like it or not because thats the whole point of your being is, to progress. You catch fish, kill them and then eat them, because you have to, to satiate a hunger and thirst that grow fatal over time. Killing is just a part of nature that we initially shy from, but know as a necessary part of life.
If a Sandshark encroaches upon my vision while I'm exploring the depths for certain minerals, the first thing I do is brandish my knife. Then I observe and think. What direction is it heading? Has it seen me? Is it going to attack? What are my escape routes? Should I fight or Should run?
The initial defence is just a part of nature, for when there isn't time to think of nicer ways of surviving and something I think is just a part of Subnautica and survival overall. Violence can happen, for sure when that sandshark decides I look weak enough to eat and begins swimming my way. I know for a fact that I'll end up wasting my knife's durability killing the creature if it can swim faster than me, as there is really nothing else I could do. I'll kill it, and then I'll grumble over my broken knife before quickly snatching up my intended supplies and making the long haul back to the life pod.

Of course it doesn't have to be a gruesome affair, but the idea of hunting and defence requiring violence and death to achieve is just not something one can pass on in hopes of a less violent game. It's gotta be there, for nature's sake.
Plus it's hella fun bringing a knife to a shark fight.

Now, onto something a bit more pleasant ~ DEFENSIVE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT IDEA'S

The stasis gun itself is actually quite the innovative thing to be put into the game rather than a generic damage weapon, something I enjoy very much. However from what I've seen for the future prospects, A more damaging tool will be arriving on the scene as a "Railgun". Nice, I'm not hating on it as it sounds a bit more interesting and powerful over a speargun or a flechette rifle plus it gives some leverage over the hostile creatures.

But a cool thing to implement as a defensive option could be the use of sonic technologies. I would greatly enjoy the prospect of building my dinky little base amidst the ocean floor, however to be devoured 5 seconds after popping out of a hatch by a Boneshark does not sound to pleasant.
Solution?
Sonic Repulsors. Keep the beasties at bay with the AOE tool and feel free to dock that submarine in a sonic veil of safety. Pushing it further would be to make it mobile, like a small tablet on your thigh that you could turn on and use to repel things while you explore the depths.
However, to balance it out would mean that EVERYTHING is repulsed by your presence, so fishing with your hands isn't going to work unless your faster than the fish or if you've hit it with a stasis round. Of course it would run on interchangeable batteries and the bigger denizens(anything bigger than any of the shark species) of the deep wouldn't be so affected by it. Possibly over time specific creatures would grow "used to" the effect and render it useless, requiring another method of defence(Or just taking it out of the equation with a knife, possibly a powerhead if one gets put in).

Or maybe if your tech tree isn't that developed yet, use the the good old fashioned laser-in-the-eye trick. Possibly a modification to the flashlight would be a non/directional strobe option that could deter hostiles or stun them. Upside: cheap, easy and a 2 in 1 package. Downside: If it doesn't have eyes (Crustaceans/ slug concept) you better run. Would probably kill battery too, and hey it would make a great signal(annoyance) in coop. Even better if you could do that thing to fishes where you shine a light in there eyes and it just stops them in the spot, ready to grab and go.

Lastly, the most Pacifistic defence in the book. Abstinence.
Just kidding, I'm saying armour. Possibly an exo-suit if we figure out where Cthulu lives, but for midgame most likely a Shark-Suit.
Something based of of the Neptunic Shark-Suit would fit in really well with comforting some phobic people and assisting in traversing hostile environments.
The guys even live tested their suit: https://youtube.com/watch?v=dswPW78FYBI
Coolio.

Ps: Devs, make the game the way you think it should be made best, I'm just here to shoot some ideas around and make sure that Kill or be Killed is a part of the game. Best of luck.

Edit: feel free to post your Ideas and opinions(on my idea's or opinion towards violence). Thanks.

Comments