The Wiki needs you!

2»

Comments

• FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Captha or a NS2 quiz question should keep the bots out
    Yep, the captcha's need updating as they've definitely been cracked.

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Glad to see the wiki is finally garnering the attention it deserves!

It was unfortunate that my departure from NS2 (due to burn-out) marked the end of frequent wiki updates. The bots really made it hell to check recent progress, and no one seemed interested in editing at the time.

That said, I'd be happy to assist with this new initiative :D
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    @FoxyUK So how do you want to continue the work? Just saw that alot of redirections are "messed up" in the other languages. For example: Main Alien article in english is Kharaa, in german it's Aliens:de.

And since we have the "don't translate ingame names" rule there shoudn't be diffrent articlenames in other languages.

I think another problem with the translations is, that when you use the search function you
    automatically get back to the english version and you can't easly change the language of an article... (Jeah i know you just can add :de to the URL but thats not handy for inexperienced users)
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Hoeloe wrote: »
    @FoxyUK So how do you want to continue the work? Just saw that alot of redirections are "messed up" in the other languages. For example: Main Alien article in english is Kharaa, in german it's Aliens:de.

I think another problem with the translations is, that when you use the search function you
    automatically get back to the english version and you can't easly change the language of an article... (Jeah i know you just can add :de to the URL but thats not handy for inexperienced users)

Yup, looks like the worst actually. But I think it may be better to focus on updating the whole English parts before even thinking about do so for the other translations.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    PsiWarp wrote: »
    Glad to see the wiki is finally garnering the attention it deserves!

It was unfortunate that my departure from NS2 (due to burn-out) marked the end of frequent wiki updates. The bots really made it hell to check recent progress, and no one seemed interested in editing at the time.

That said, I'd be happy to assist with this new initiative :D

Yes I'd noticed your name in an awful lot of revisions :) nice to see you back :)

And since we have the "don't translate ingame names" rule there shoudn't be diffrent articlenames in other languages.

Correct, in my opinion, Kharaa should be a hard redirect to Aliens in English and should follow the same rules in other languages, additionally Frontiersmen (and possibly TSF) should redirect to Marines, though I'm happy to see other suggestions. I also recommend again that we delete any and all translated articles as it's clear there are more errors in them than useful content.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    FoxyUK wrote: »

Correct, in my opinion, Kharaa should be a hard redirect to Aliens in English and should follow the same rules in other languages, additionally Frontiersmen (and possibly TSF) should redirect to Marines, though I'm happy to see other suggestions. I also recommend again that we delete any and all translated articles as it's clear there are more errors in them than useful content.

I'm also dealing with the ingame translation. I think that other people motivated to work on translating the Wiki should also take a look to your respective translations ingame to make sure they fit with each other. So I'm pretty sure the German translation of the game says Aliens ingame. As does the French one.
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    ATM Alien redirect to Kharaa and thats okay for me I like it, it's just not the same in other languages.
    Like I allready mentioned we could do a sheet with the articles to get an overview. That's what I have done so far to show you an example.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j3Ol1WOgsAEK_WawDg6Vs7n85sF7D-HoDg5pb9Z-w24/edit?usp=sharing

If you like it and think it would be usefull, I would setup a complete sheet with all artcles in it.
    Pelargir wrote: »
    I'm also dealing with the ingame translation. I think that other people motivated to work on translating the Wiki should also take a look to your respective translations ingame to make sure they fit with each other. So I'm pretty sure the German translation of the game says Aliens ingame. As does the French one.

But cause of translation rules (last month I checked whole german ingame translation together with Ghoul) there should not be other names than the english ones. Extractor is also Extractor in german and also in french (I hope).
    I like the google docs idea but it would be better to have a project page on the wiki itself with a table... That way everyone can see what we are doing and the progress we are making and make changes themselves if they feel able to.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Exactly something like this! Wait, did you copy?! :))
    Nice work, I think that way we can realy go on to update the wiki!

Exactly something like this! Wait, did you copy?! :))
    Nice work, I think that way we can realy go on to update the wiki!

I copied your idea yes ;)
    I also copied the great list of badges here and put it into a neat table. http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Badges
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    @FoxyUK you might want to make a link for game related things in the main page. I am thinking you will need at least the following: Game versions (this is for explaining the various version of the game you can buy (eg. deluxe, pre-order, normal etc...), DLC and badges, marine skins, alien skins (these are really DLC, but may need a page redirect). Otherwise, really good work, for putting the effort in to make the wiki better.
    edited February 2015
    I went through the german pages and the most are on Beta state, so we need to uptade them all. I tried to setup the mainpage:de, it worked nice I think. But first there are a lot missing articles in german and a lot links are red and seccond I wait now for your changes on the mainpage before I continue.
    And i also changed the "Template:Mainpage notice:de" that the german wiki is outdated.
    @Hoeloe nice work on the Main_Page:de but you seem to have the same infobox at the bottom as you do in the middle? @Cannon_FodderAUS if you like, you can edit http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Draft:Main_Page and I'll copy the stuff that works over to the main page