NS2 school

WoehlerWoehler Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188684Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
I've been playing NS2 for more than a 100 hours now. And learning NS2 was not that easy. And I got a lot of information from itssupereffective's youtube channel.
That I ended up on his channel was not a coincidence. Quite the opposite. As there are not many tutorials on NS2. And even fewer that is of proper quality. But more importantly updated.
Now the time have come where itssupereffective's tutorials are becoming outdated. This is not just relevant to the online tutorials. But even the in-game tips and the wiki!
I don't know if there is already something in progress to resolve this. If not. Then I would like to make something. Something beyond just a youtube channel with random and semi outdated tutorials.
My latest idea include a whole website dedicated to this.
However. I would need help for such an ambitious project that even have the chance of being left unused.

I would need help with setting up the website. Both technical and graphical.

For the videos I would as a minimum need help in the form of "actors".

What do you guys think?

Comments

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I cannot help you in any way but looks like a laborious project.

Good luck!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    On the public trello board with the CDT's plans for the future of ns2 this is all I could find on tutorials. https://trello.com/c/NWKYqX17/536-fully-functional-mapping-entity-set-for-scripted-events-tutorials-and-other-game-events There is all sorts of little things to make the game somewhat more rookie friendly though.

There has been talk about better tutorials. There has been lots of brainstorming, but the limiting factor is not ideas but man hours. It takes a lot of work to do something like this. In my opinion the biggest problem facing since forever is player retention. This is because learning the game is hard.

I really wish you luck, because I would love to see a quality tool for teaching how to play Ns2. When it takes 100+ hours to learn a game, no wonder it has such bad retention.
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    I as well unfortunatly won't be able to help out much at all other than my input on your progress but it would be amazing as while ISEs tutorials are still good in some ways an updated tutorial website would be amazing.

Good luck with your project!
  • HellwireDHellwireD Join Date: 2015-01-18 Member: 200904Members
    We can apply what brainfood did with ns2_forgotten to this. This stuff is scattered ALL OVER the place, forums, steam game hub, youtube, etc, etc. Scrap everything together in one place, unpuzzle and update it and it's good to go again. Preferably in a single place that is super-obvious (or mandatory) to the first time game launching individual.
    That way the work load could be feasible.