How do I fix my old Mods?

jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hi there, I mainly make graphical replacements so just replacing the .dds files

Sometime last year a workshop update occurred which changed the way resources were handled and loaded in-game, I think it was a complete change in how textures were applied to models to make way for the kodiak skins. Not sure though, but ever since then my mods have been borked and now that I'm starting to get back into NS2 a little I'd like to use my weapon skins and other graphical tweaks once again.

Also, sometime later, crosshairs got broken. At least the two I've created all of a sudden have become corrupted on the workshop or something like that, I don't get it at all, but no custom crosshairs for me.

The way my mods worked were an identical directory structure to the game, with the replacement files the only files that exist in the mod directory. So like pistolmod/models/marine/pistol/pistol.dds
etc. Not sure what's changed or what I need to do to fix it all, so I'm posting here for help. I know I'll probably have to nuke my workshop submissions and that's fine with me, because they didn't even work back then when it came to editing them haha.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2015
    Links to your mods would help. I'm the one who "broke" your rifle or exo skins, I posted how to fix them and I went to the workshop page of every rifle or exo skin linking to the thread, if I missed your mod, sorry.

If you don't want to fix it I'll fix it for you...least I could do for "breaking" it.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134716/important-imminent-update-to-break-certain-mods-fix-included
  • jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=106565022
    My pistol skin

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=229763554
    My crosshair mod

I have a whole bunch of other mods and I assume none work anymore, thanks for taking the time to reply SamusDroid although I think the issue may be something different.

Also, when I run sandbox mode it says build 218 up the top left. That can't be right.. can it? Does NS2 keep old binaries around for compatibility reasons? Because my pistol mod actually works in sandbox mode, yet I'm 100% certain I have tested it before in 2014 and it wasn't working. -and I'm aware of whitelisted servers, and I'm sure that wasn't a problem for it.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2015
    Look in your mod folder for a mod.settings file, open this, I'm willing to bet that your mod has a build number set somewhere in there. Delete that line and try running it again.

Now onto the other problem. Rifle and Exo skins were changed to atlased textures, you'll have to fix them in order for it to work.