[Linux] [Bug Report] Overlays in 273: Map and big position cursor, marine-HUD-squares on Tab

develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
edited January 2015 in Technical Support
Ok, 273 is here.

1. Entire map blinks fast when you hold map hey. Seen while preparing to spawn, for example.

2. Also, the map shows huge white semitransparent 'current position' arrow over the normal arrow. You have to press some other key to make it disappear.

3. When looking at score as a marine, screen fills up with blue squares (like at spawn time, but it fills entirely). You can press some other key or let go the Tab key to stop that.

(Ubuntu 14.04)

PS And 273 brings locale bug to me: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135543/linux-cant-play-lua-errors-workaround

Comments

• develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    NS2+ bugs i believe (well, the scoreboard one is)
    But NS2+ cannot be updated right now until we get a hotfix out
    Still the same after update.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    NS2+ has updated since then and it specifically remedies that issue : "- Fixed bug where opening/closing the scoreboard would reset the HUD."

See if you still have the same issue on a server that has map changed / updated its NS2+ @devel
  • LeeuwLeeuw Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187898Members
    The first two I also saw in update 274.
    1. the map blinks are really annoying as I access the map frequenty.
    I also remember that many versions ago the "C" button toggled the display on/off,
    which I liked better.. I often keep the map open while walking so I now keep the "C"
    pressed with my thumb while moving WASD with other fingers.. also not so nice.

2. Why someone made the walking arrow larger I don't understand.. it is eassier to locate
    myself.. but annying as it distracts me away from the enemies on the map.
    Thanks for the reports.
    I'll pass it along to our resident Linux dev (who has been hard at work on OpenGL lately)
  • computerquipcomputerquip Join Date: 2013-09-11 Member: 188124Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Retired Community Developer
    I unfortunately cannot reproduce the issue on my specific machine.
    If you can, provide a more reliable method of causing the issue.
    More info can also help, such as screenshots, logs, and your driver version.
    Clearing your cache and retesting would also be nice.
    Workaround for #1 and #2: turn of key repeat feature in OS settings.

Which of the issues can't be reproduced?

#1 Map flickering.

Normally, there are two modes in the game:
    While actually playing, you have to hold the key in order to see the map.
    On the other hand, while preparing to spawn (in the infantry portal), you can bring up the map and it stays on even if you release the key.

But I didn't care, because in previous versions I was able to just always hold the map key regardless of current mode.
    In 273-274 it is flickering in 'spawn mode' if you hold a key.

Actually it starts to flicker when 'key repeat' events kick in. You know, when the key is pushed, it generates one KeyPress, then, if it is held for some time, the system starts to generate KeyPress events repeatedly.

So, input system or GUI hide-show logic problems. Not GL-related.

#2 When you open the map, there supposed to be a fast animation of big semitransparent arrow shrinking to your small 'current position' arrow.

What is actually happening:
    it appears
    it shrinks
    but it reapprears full size and stays on the map (turning and moving with your movements of course)

it can be shreked back by pressing some key like WASD
    61edb31deb72833490c288b32cfae5.png

And the same story again. Giant arrow reappears when key repeat is triggered.

If I turn off key repeat feature in OS, #1 and #2 never happen.

#3 Yes, looks like a mod problem. Never saw it locally.

P. S. Maybe later I'll make a video, but the cause for 1 and 2 is obvious already.
    Found the problem?
    It will be ok for the next build?
    Do I have to get more info?
  • LeeuwLeeuw Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187898Members
    This might also be related to the IBUS problem,
    see http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2232099

I noticed the big arrow and flickering dissapeared together with the strange key events.