Corrupted Occlusion Geometry

MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
So I'm trying to get a new update for my map but somehow the occlusion geometry keeps spacing out every time. I had this before but I normally got an invalid triangle error which is not the case here.

So basically my whole map looks like this atm.
6db200899a.jpg

This might be connected to the way I set up my occlusion geometry. Basically I am copying every face in my map that in not transparent and set those copies to be occ geo. This has worked for almost a year now but now it seems to be not working anymore.

Does anyone know why this happens and is there a fix without changing my method of setting up occlusion geo?

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    It's probably a good idea to space out your occlusion geo a little bit.

The way I make occlusion geo is I simply make a big box for each room (with faces pointed inwards, of course), and do this for every room on the map. Then, I use the rectangle tool to drill holes in the boxes where the connections are, and start connecting the boxes up with simple extrusions.

So I'd say, try spacing out your geometry a little bit from the wall, see if that helps.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    it might help even though objects inside of the room shouldn't vanish. In the picture is an RT standing 3 metres infront of me... it's just occluded
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    i build the whole level then i go over it room by room creating boxes surrounding each room but slightly out, there is a bit of room between the box and room. I did all of forge's occlusion in 1 day so it doesnt take to long
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I know you're not looking for different ways to do things, but I cannot resist the opportunity throw my tutorial around.

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited January 2015
    I saw your tutorial long long time ago flat ;)

oh and @deathshroud‌ the method I used normally took me 2 minutes so I liked that one. But I will try working on getting the new occlusion geo done
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Don't...
    I may be the invalid triangle bug (actually ugly bug). It can hit any geometry. The fact that Occlusion geometry is in a group doesn't change the nature of it. Use the "load; move camera and save again" method. Then check again.

alsp your occlusion could be welded to some non occlusion that might mess up the group, to fix it select you occlusion group and then cut paste and reassign it to the group
    edited January 2015
    @UncleCrunch‌ I tried that "load; move camera and save again" method 5 times always with the same outcome. If I could fix it that way I wouldn't ask here (or I just had incredibly bad luck)

I also should mention that I need to set up my pathing AFTER I set up my occlusion geometry. otherwise my game crashes when it's trying to load the pathing
    ok it seems to work fine now.

I removed the pathing completely, did occlusion geometry again, loaded up ns2 to see if if occlusion geometry and pathing somehow were connected and when the occ geo was fine I did the pathing again and it seems to work now

note that I did not just rebuilded the pathing. I had to delete it first and then generate new
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @Mephiles‌
    I had that bad luck also.
    So I added to the load/save something. I take any geometry i see and move it; then CTRL-Z; move camera blah blah... 100% success since that time.

edited January 2015
    i had a similar issue that was due to my pathing layer being added to a group, it causes some real issues and the pathing layer shouldnt be grouped. to fix it i cut pasted the pathing geo and added it to the pathing layer again. took me some serious trial and error to find the problem.