Whatever happened to leap damage?

YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited January 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
Is it me or is there no leap damage for skulk anymore? Was it ever implemented? If so, where did it go?!

Gone were the days trying to hug a marine to death, the little extra damage never hurt anyone!

Discuss.

Comments

• MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Was dropped in beta if I remember, there was a reason... forum search... GO! :P
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    A wild forum search appears, I choose you Muckysaur!
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Probably beta because I do not remember in my all NS2 life leap dealing damages.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    Possibly in early beta
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Leap should do damage to both yourself and the marine. No one walks away from a collision like that unscathed.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Saltlick wrote: »
    Leap should do damage to both yourself and the marine. No one walks away from a collision like that unscathed.

Skulk has a tough head.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    No leap damage is ok, I find the leap bite to be much more effective. I might have been a thing in NS1 (can't remember now it is so long ago). But the damage was very low any how (if I remember correctly).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Saltlick wrote: »

aliens!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    nanites!

I do miss leap damage, and campaign for it to be brought back in every NS2 based game I am involved with :D yet to get it put into a single one of them, but I am trying to see it brought back somewhere!!!
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The only purpose for leap damage I could see was humiliation kills, even more embarrassing than a para kill imo.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hivelord wrote: »
    The only purpose for leap damage I could see was humiliation kills, even more embarrassing than a para kill imo.

Parasite is much more hard to kill with than leap damage would be.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hivelord wrote: »

Like rifle butt kill
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    A para kill isn't always embarassing though, Sometimes you can get the skulk far enough away to not want to come at you, but you have 10 health, commander is busy medding other people, (or not medding, ala pubs) and he starts popping out in several places to try to get that 10 damage off with para.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    This thread takes me back to my first dozen or so matches with NS2. I picked it up at release, so if leap ever did damage, it was some time before I started playing, but for the first few matches, I was convinced it dealt damage and ruined many ambush attempts by leaping at marines to initiate combat (often colliding with their model and coming to a standstill) only to be quickly put down wondering if the hitreg was broken. I'm not sure if it was a sub-concious memory of how things worked in NS1 Mod (which i briefly played) or was down to the sound and animation suggesting it was an offensive ability, but it took longer than I like to admit to break that habit. Good times =)
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Leap did damage per frame in early NS (1.0x). This was unintentional, unintuitive and extremely OP and could kill a an HA (~exo) in about half a second by sitting ontop of them and leaping down, holding crouch. Ever since that time leap has never done more than a few points of damage and in NS2 it was long since it did any damage.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited January 2015
    dont think leap ever did damage in ns2, i played from the earliest community releases (i think) and dont recall it i dont think leap was even in until much later
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm pretty sure it did damage in earlier versions, but it was negligible. Like 20 damage at most.
    Don't really see what the point to bringing it back would be to be honest.

I'd rather they fix Xeno first.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    dont think leap ever did damage in ns2, i played from the earliest community releases (i think) and dont recall it i dont think leap was even in until much later

Oh, I've been killed by and killed with leap in NS2. It made a very silly smashing-a-baseball-bat-against-cabbage type sound followed by the normal "euugghhh" death sound.