A list of lost features, abilities and content from earlier builds..

13»

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited May 2017
    i think whips hitting grenades away and the aux grenade launcher are my two most missed features.

I understand why the whips hitting grenades away was removed though, it caused lag issues and crashes due to the grenades being tracked by the server. (least that is what a believe) but it made whips such a useful structure where as now they kinda an after thought. typically hydras are more useful.

The aux grenade launcher was a rifle with an under slung grenade launcher, the Aux GL only carried 1 grenade though i think and you had to go to an armory to get another. Was very useful though. I guess grenades kinda made it redundant

I think full invisibility should return but only for stationary aliens
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2017
    Hmm, regarding grenades in NS2... Has this ever been fixed btw

NS2 grenade location wrong:

VS NS:

Mostly because that was one of the main reasons why whip slap back was removed, alongside it being a bit too powerful and murdering servers left and right :D
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Invisible aliens used to have to move at crouch speed. I think people realised the power of silence and being invisible, it's just that at higher levels, you'd be moving pretty slowly and a competent commander would scan the mothers. Perhaps there was an earlier build where you could sprint whilst invisible though.

...wasting a lot of res in the process.

Really, being completely invisible while standing still is good enough, everything else is a bonus.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Hmm, regarding grenades in NS2... Has this ever been fixed btw

NS2 grenade location wrong:

VS NS:

Mostly because that was one of the main reasons why whip slap back was removed, alongside it being a bit too powerful and murdering servers left and right :D

it used to be accurate like in ns1 and this is how whips could hit em away. but it created to much information for servers to handle i believe and was changed.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Kinda strange how Goldsrc > Spark in terms of client side prediction, but than gain Goldsrc was a beast!
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited May 2017
    Lerk belly slide!!! When lerks didn't have friction and by simply aiming slightly down you could reach reficulous speed as you accelerated as if you were diving. All the while you never have to flap so your extra silent...

Beaconing to the observatory! Send mac into alien hive, build observatory, powersurge , beacon.... surprise!!!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2017
    Vetinari wrote: »
    I still think this was an unnecessary change. It makes it pretty inconsistent which structures you can climb and which you can't. Was there ever much of a problem in the first place?
    Yes, it was a major problem.. you could just constantly run around the surface of the CC model avoiding being hit pretty easily. Just one skulk was a massive pain, but having multiple made it so difficult. Having the skulk be somewhere on the ground minimizes this.

edit: oops I see Kouji already answered you
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Alright, I concede my point.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited May 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Kinda strange how Goldsrc > Spark in terms of client side prediction, but than gain Goldsrc was a beast!

Except (I assume) Spark doesn't handle map information in a stupid way. Seriously, if you didn't use an unofficial patch for your server, attackers could easily shut it down and potentially cause physical damage to your network. Surprising that even regular Source still does that. #Q3InfoBoom
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    . gorge boneshield - gorges once had the ability to curl into a ball increasing their armor similar to boneshield.

This should TOTALLY go back in!!!

No armor heal like the current boneshield though, just the ability to ball up and negate incoming damage for a couple seconds.

Early game gorgies are a tad too easy to kill, and I say this as a bad marine player with low accuracy.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    So this thread seems to be back online I guess

-Heliport.