Cool, Save Feature Works.

MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members

Comments

• SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Mm... I'm a bit disappointed honestly, was expecting it to save WHERE I am and place me back there-- maybe it was just my luck and it glitched out, but if it didn't glitch, and someone saves very far away while exploring, it wouldn't make much sense to spawn them all the way back at their base
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    There are probably bugs in there somewhere, which is why we've released it before making an announcement. If you find consistent and reproducible bugs, please let @LumpN‌ know. He's in charge of save game stuff.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Seldkam wrote: »
    Mm... I'm a bit disappointed honestly, was expecting it to save WHERE I am and place me back there-- maybe it was just my luck and it glitched out, but if it didn't glitch, and someone saves very far away while exploring, it wouldn't make much sense to spawn them all the way back at their base

I think it has to do that for now because the world is still changing. When you load next, your save game point might be inside of a rock.
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    edited January 2015
    moultano wrote: »
    Seldkam wrote: »

I think it has to do that for now because the world is still changing. When you load next, your save game point might be inside of a rock.

I think it's the proper thing to do (spawning in the pod) as a safety to have people load back in the pod as moultano suggested about spawning inside a rock would ruin your day, and make the save feature null & void.

They devs could add in the ability for us to choose where we wish to spawn. For instance with other games I play once I place a bed I spawn there so it would make sense to do the same thing here by allowing people to either create a respawn beacon of some sort.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    no that's a bug we will fix.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    The savegame feature is far from complete right now. Yes, a basic version is working and public in the experimental branch. Already it does save a lot of state information but it does not save terraforming and player position yet. Our team needs to discuss gameplay implications of when and what to save, whether to autosave, etc. first. Ideally we'd autosave a lot but that might lead to unpleasant hitching. As said there is lots of work left to do.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Sounds good-- I'm not trying to whine or anything, was just voicing a concern, sorry if I came off as whiny.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    LumpN wrote: »
    The savegame feature is far from complete right now. Yes, a basic version is working and public in the experimental branch. Already it does save a lot of state information but it does not save terraforming and player position yet. Our team needs to discuss gameplay implications of when and what to save, whether to autosave, etc. first. Ideally we'd autosave a lot but that might lead to unpleasant hitching. As said there is lots of work left to do.

I've always preferred manual saves binded to a hotkey with no overwritting - I've found games with autosaving sometimes save you in areas where you glitch out or run out of health packs, other times I've wanted to re-explore an area I've been to and the save I just saved overwrote the last one.

That's my opinion, sure it leads to dozens of save games but I guess that'd be something the user could decide on or maybe set a max save limit before it starts overwritting the oldest save
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    ezekel wrote: »
    LumpN wrote: »

I've always preferred manual saves binded to a hotkey with no overwritting - I've found games with autosaving sometimes save you in areas where you glitch out or run out of health packs, other times I've wanted to re-explore an area I've been to and the save I just saved overwrote the last one.

That's my opinion, sure it leads to dozens of save games but I guess that'd be something the user could decide on or maybe set a max save limit before it starts overwritting the oldest save

I agree with this, although I find autosaving in open world games fine as long as the player knows where they're going to come back. Usually that means letting the player define their "safe point" - for now all we have is the escape pod, but I'm sure other options will be available later. Manual saving in a more "hardcore" setting is usually a bad idea since it leads to "save scumming" that removes a lot of the risk and tension in exploring dangerous areas.
    All in the eyes of the saveholder
  • AerofluxAeroflux GA, USA Join Date: 2014-12-22 Member: 200206Members
    edited January 2015
    Indeed. Manual saving avoids a lot of trouble that auto-saving can't predict. I will always remember the battle with Alma in Ninja Gaiden on hard difficulty. Why? Because it auto-saved just as I stumbled into the arena with no potions and half a bar of health. That was a long night. By the time I beat her it was mid-morning and my contacts had fused to my eyeballs.

Granted, such a situation may never occur in Subnautica, but I have a general distaste for auto-save. A compromise would be save points/items which could be used at any time but would be limited to # of saves / units of time.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ideally you'd have freely choosable save state's, where whenever you save manually a new savestate gets created and the autosave overwrites the new savestate. This enables you to choose older save points etc.
    Aeroflux wrote: »
    Indeed. Manual saving avoids a lot of trouble that auto-saving can't predict. I will always remember the battle with Alma in Ninja Gaiden on hard difficulty. Why? Because it auto-saved just as I stumbled into the arena with no potions and half a bar of health. That was a long night. By the time I beat her it was mid-morning and my contacts had fused to my eyeballs.

Granted, such a situation may never occur in Subnautica, but I have a general distaste for auto-save. A compromise would be save points/items which could be used at any time but would be limited to # of saves / units of time.

Yep... I had amnesia the dark descent save when I somehow skipped an area without a quest item.. got to a later part in the game and couldn't figure out what to do.... youtubed it and turns out I was missing an item in my inventory

I had to download someone else's save from a forum, use a hex editor to get the items ID number, and then put that itemID into my save file.. and then launch the game to finally get passed it.. lol!