marine night vision goggles

roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
edited December 2014 in Ideas and Suggestions
this is not my idea, but it is a frequent idea brought up by other people
forum search option sucks, if you know this exists somewhere in the forums, post a link to it

marine night vision goggles, purchased from the proto lab.

the code to make this happen already exists in the alien vision shader support, and would be easily ported by simply adding an item and another hlsl file.
it would be an easy change to make for the CDT

there is 2 different ways to implement it:
1) standard green low light photomultiplier currently used in irl military applications
2) thermal imaging - red/orange hot, blue/teal background
3) a combination of both with a toggle switch
both ways can be fine tuned for gameplay such as #1 intensity turned up or down and #2 having more distant aliens be near background color

naturally the argument against is OP this and OP that, so if it gets added it will all be about balance, the question is how much balance?

how much should it cost in proto lab?
how much should it cost to research? how long? require 2 chairs?

cheap=5-15 res
expensive=15-25 res

Comments

• roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    feel free to state what your preferences would be, why you voted the way you did, and specific research and purchase costs and times, as well of what type of NV you would want, or any other relevant information
    additionally, for those trying to bring up any kind of bias, i personally play the alien team almost exclusively, so i would be extremely hesitant to allow any kind of buff to the marine team without it being balanced properly, both financially and visually
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I hate all forms of change.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited December 2014
    I would actually go for it being able to buy at advanced armory for like 5 pres (not recycable) without the need to research it when the lighting system will change in something like red emergency light won't work when a destroyed power node has contact with infestation

EDIT: stop influencng the oppinion of others in the vote by calling them idiots if they vote for something
    edited December 2014
    i never liked the emergency lights much, and a lot of people have had good ideas about replacing it, such as cyst lighting
    nv goggles would do well to replace them as well

i would like to see the delay before emergency lights doubled even without adding anything to the game
    i think someone even had the "cysted power nodes dont have emergency lights" idea already too, which i agree with

i suppose with nv goggles in the game, the emergency lights concept could be completely removed, if not delay time tripled

and its not influencing anything, those are adding options that arent real options for the people who will undoubtedly show up saying those things
    hes also from texas, which is also typical of that mentality
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Yeah, this is not how you hold a vote. Being condescending is not the way to go. Locked.
This discussion has been closed.