Q for your computer setup

Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited December 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Happy holidays to all,
Just a question on setup. I just built my modest gaming rig from a:
Intel E8400 dual core 3.0GHz
8G ram, Nvidia GTX650

to a
i5-4690k 3.5GHz
8G ram, Nvidia GTX650

What res and other options do you recommend to play it on 60fps stable?

I am currently running it on 1377x768 (or something like that) with everyone minimal or off.
Tried 1920x1080 last night, and it couldn't keep 60fps.
Thanks.
PS. on the minimal setting I am used to for my old comp, I get the required 60fps on the new comp (I set the maxfps to 60), and it was awesome to bite marines that don't teleport when my frame rate tanks at the 15 minute mark. I just want a bit more eye candy.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Low settings don't even hold me above 60fps always on servers with 18 or greater players during late game scenarios with a 3570k @4.6ghz and a 750ti on low settings.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    wooo, ok. good to know. I'll stick with my current low settings and get the fps goodness (its pretty enough). Game play and team work is what got me to stick with this game anyway.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If I remember when I used to use maxfps, if I set 60fps I would drop sometimes to like 5 randomly. If I set it at 70fps those drops would only go down to 60 usually.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited December 2014
    That's pretty much because both your GPUs are way out of proportion to how good your cpu is. Basically it's bottlenecking. If you open up r_stats in console you should see a _ms waiting for GPU on the top left, that is your GPU bottleneck essentially.
    Seb wrote: »
    That's pretty much because both your GPUs are way out of proportion to how good your cup is. Basically it's bottlenecking. If you open up r_stats in console you should see a _ms waiting for GPU on the top left, that is your GPU bottleneck essentially.

I knew that. It happened with my 7970 also which was when my cpu was the bottleneck. I started ns2 on a 6950, which is about as powerful as my 750ti.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    sigh* the arms race starts again.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited December 2014
    Happy holidays to all,
    8G ram, Nvidia GTX650

to a
    i5-4690k 3.5GHz
    8G ram, Nvidia GTX650

I am currently running it on 1377x768 (or something like that) with everyone minimal or off.
    Thanks.
    PS. on the minimal setting I am used to for my old comp, I get the required 60fps on the new comp (I set the maxfps to 60), and it was awesome to bite marines that don't teleport when my frame rate tanks at the 15 minute mark. I just want a bit more eye candy.

You bought the best gaming CPU available... to go with a 2 generation old low budget tier graphics card. You dun goofed.

I have a 4670k (overclocked) and a gtx770 and I can get 90-120FPS with every setting I want maxed out. A gtx760 would have done you a solid 60, but that x50 level crap just wont cut it for a game like ns2.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I can confirm that a gtx660 would have been acceptable. You can get them for less than 100 quid these days too
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    or 970 sli 200 fps goodness
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Happy holidays to all,
    8G ram, Nvidia GTX650

to a
    i5-4690k 3.5GHz
    8G ram, Nvidia GTX650

Thanks.

You bought the best gaming CPU available... to go with a 2 generation old low budget tier graphics card. You dun goofed.

I have a 4670k (overclocked) and a gtx770 and I can get 90-120FPS with every setting I want maxed out. A gtx760 would have done you a solid 60, but that x50 level crap just wont cut it for a game like ns2.

except I spent all the money on the CPU, case, cooler, and other crap... i will have to save for that one now :-(

Thanks for the advice all the same. Definitely will save for a new card.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Loki wrote: »

Show off.... love you @loki

;))

I use a i7 with single gtx660 - runs fine for me, however have been having slow loading textures the last two patches.. (minor grumble).
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer

except I spent all the money on the CPU, case, cooler, and other crap... i will have to save for that one now :-(

Thanks for the advice all the same. Definitely will save for a new card.

This is an example on how not to build a PC :P

Always factor in roughly 1/3rd of the budget for the GPU is my rule of thumb

A $1000 build should have a $300 GPU in it :)
    You guys still drop pretty low in late game scenarios because of your CPU. I've had more powerful gpus and I still dropped. In general with my 750 ti I get over 100 fps.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    edited December 2014
    Add GTX 760 to your config and you won't notice any problems on max settings with 1920x1080 res.

At least for me, this setup is fine. But I've also added some really expensive RAM, so maybe it helps too in lategame.
    Thanks for all the advice ppl. Its good to know what to aim for now. I am on a tight budget (family and all), so it takes a while to save. Also, I wanted to get a cpu that I don't need to worry about upgrading for a while (graphics cards change in price much more, so some time early next year, the TGX760 would probably drop enough in price for me to afford it :-)

Now back to NS2 goodness.
    PS. Happy Holidays all, see you online.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Advice :
    don't play NS2 on 16+ slots servers. It will help a lot.
    6v6 competitive on low settings with average i5 is arround 130 to 190 fps.
    Late game on pubs (20+slots servers) gets down to 50 usually, too much crap on the maps
    @MauvaisVitrier‌ agreed about this, but due to time constraints (family and all), I can only play between 9pm-12), so that 3 hr window means pubs only. I even go on US (200ping) EU (400ping) servers because the Aus server is full (we always have 1 full server :-( )
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Loki wrote: »

Lol forget that. I get 144-fps g-sync
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @mattji104 I know right.. gsync works very well. :)
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I don't see a SSD in there!
    You can't make an NS2 specific computer without an SSD.. [-X

Whilst an SSD is very nice ( everyone I know tells me that). But I am a miser, so I would rather spend the same money on a big HDD. The waiting 3 minutes for the first map load isn't that unbearable. Because the subsequent maps load very fast anyway. That graphics card though... Have to save save save for that sweet GTX760.
    In your case, gpu before ssd, but ssd's are amazing. Everything loads so quick.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Then spend only a small amount more to get more ram and then RAMDISK THAT BABY!

(Where are you shopping for these parts? It's worth doing the legwork shopping elsewhere if you are trying to be that frugal)
    @IronHorse‌ @Nordic‌ Thanks for the advice guys. I am in Brisbane Australia, so I goto a place call Umart (where they sell computer parts), the mecca of computer geeks! The current system spots 16G of ram (its very nice), but the gpu comes first for sure, then may be I will go the SSD route - I hear too many good things about it not to use (though that means installing Win7 (again). But I can live with that if it gives me speed!! Having said all that, even on lowly settings, the game running smoothly at 60fps constant has improved my game so much.
    @IronHorse‌ @Nordic‌ Thanks for the advice guys. I am in Brisbane Australia, so I goto a place call Umart (where they sell computer parts), the mecca of computer geeks! The current system spots 16G of ram (its very nice), but the gpu comes first for sure, then may be I will go the SSD route - I hear too many good things about it not to use (though that means installing Win7 (again). But I can live with that if it gives me speed!! Having said all that, even on lowly settings, the game running smoothly at 60fps constant has improved my game so much.
    Installing windows 7 would be the best route, and net you the most performance. But if you really wanted you could clone your hdd onto a hypothetical ssd.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I see everyone quoting FPS but not Resolution. One is useless without the other.

I have a 560ti with a 4670k and I get constant 200fps until mid-game where I can drop as low as 150fps.

The crucial factor in this is that I only have a Samsung LCD TV connected over HDMI. The TV natively defaults to 1360x768, hence why I get such a high framerate. For some games, it will run at 1920x1200 as HDMI supports, but not with NS2. Strangely, it does support that resolution in Future Perfect.. :)
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I see everyone quoting FPS but not Resolution. One is useless without the other.

I have a 560ti with a 4670k and I get constant 200fps until mid-game where I can drop as low as 150fps.

The crucial factor in this is that I only have a Samsung LCD TV connected over HDMI. The TV natively defaults to 1360x768, hence why I get such a high framerate. For some games, it will run at 1920x1200 as HDMI supports, but not with NS2. Strangely, it does support that resolution in Future Perfect.. :)

I kind of figured that a minimum of 1920x1080 was to be assumed. I run 1920x1200 myself.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    yeah 1080p is the usually what people compare to.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    if you truly want no ssd, get a hybrid disk then. (seagate has good ones)
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    Is there any reason to limit to 60 fps?