Impressions and Suggestions

T-StrikerT-Striker Join Date: 2004-08-28 Member: 30990Members
First off, I like the core foundations of the game, you guys have really pulled off something. A lot of work went into making it feel this way already, and eventually it'll have that nice feeling we all want for underwater survival. I paid 40 bucks for NS2 and was pleased with how it turned out, so I forked over 35 more for Subnautica, hope you guys continue to impress.

Anyways, I'd like to express my opinion on some of the features in the game, and some I see coming from the wiki and such, and give some suggestions for the flow of game. I know full and well that the game is probably pre-alpha and the amount of change will be vast, but an extra outside thought might help, right?

Start and Early Game - When we start, we have just that weak suit, low oxygen amount, and a fabricator. Everyone like a basic start, something to get them a bit of a tutorial, which I also must add, was AMAZING to have, I didn't expect that at this stage (or ever to that degree). Showed me fish to catch for food, rocks to get, ect. Was a nice touch. - My suggestion for all this is to add a bit more to that broken down life pod. How about having to find something to fix the fabricator? Just a piece of metal or something, then having to fabricate with a malfunctioning jury rigged fabricator to get it up and running fully. A few extra stages, a few more minutes, but immerses that feeling of recovering from the disaster.

Underwater Movement and Fish - All excellent, nothing I can add to, I was impressed with actually grabbing the fish and how many fish reacted. I know there are some parts lacking, but also that they are being worked on and will be fixed.

Submarine - It was nice to have, felt right, but I would only suggest an inventory hatch on the OUTSIDE of the little submarine, probably been thought of, but giving my nod to the idea too.

Health and Mask Cracks - I liked having the little cracks appear when hurt, adds a little bit of immersion to it. The health also regenerated slow enough to not be an issue (no masterchief ducking, healing, attacking, repeat), but fast enough to not be boring. - My suggestion would be to SEPARATE the cracks from health and to keep the cracks persistent. Something to repair when you get back and worry about underwater. Cracks from pressure or damage that can cause air to leak out faster. It'd just bring the game to life even further.

Air - I like the rate of depletion of it and how getting more gives a bit, but not too much. I'd like to eventually see a primary and secondary air tank system, where the primary could be ripped or knocked off my predators, forcing an immediate retreat.

Weapons - So far we just just a knife, so I can't comment on much, but I did see some future weapons in the wiki in the form of a propulsion cannon and railgun. Both good ideas, but I feel it'd be nice to see some earlier ranged weapons in the form of compressed air spear guns with reclaimable spears. Maybe a single shot and later a manually turned 3 barrel for 3 shots. Simplicity is sometimes best. Also, if reloading of some weapons drained the air meter, that would even further the intrigue on air management. If you ever feel like being daring, make a roped spear harpoon gun so a player can be drug off into the ocean while a massive fish bleeds out, drawing in predators by the time is tires out to be finished off.
Alemite1a_1800-PSIMade-In-USA.jpg

The Diving Suit - Now, I know full an well the dev team is not going to forget suit upgrades and probably different suits, but I want to call the attention to something I feel absolutely must be investigated and added if at all possible - Heavy Deep Water Diving Suits, like the original kind. Heavy, armored, high pressure suits that can't swim and sink to the bottom. Make em take more of a beating and reduce damage, but slow as crud to walk in (maybe more air capacity since the weight of an air tank is not an issue with them). For extraction, maybe even air supply powered, ballast tank like balloons that fill up so you float to the surface, where you can only swim horizontally when inflated. This would add a whole new dimension to gameplay if you guys did something like that.
Scaphandre_Carmagnolle_MnM_Paris.jpg
Deep-sea-suit-AOGHS.jpg

P.S. We need a suggestion section.

Comments

• dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    Good ideas. Some appear to be already in the works.

E.g. there's a fire extinguisher coming up. I assume we will have to fix (parts) of the life pod.

Also storage. In the works judging from their trello cards.

There is an exo suit in the game already which is being worked on - lacks a model etc. and is buggy but it makes you sink onto (and even into (sand))the ground. :D

I really like the idea of weapons that tie into your air system though. Or any system really (could be emergency propellant or whatever).

The permanent (but repairable) mask is a great idea as well. e.g. if you had to craft a mask using costlier ingredients and can later just exchange / repair the cracks with cheaper glass parts.
  • T-StrikerT-Striker Join Date: 2004-08-28 Member: 30990Members
    Great to know they got an exo in the works! (and the way I want it to work!) Hard to find some of the info on this stuff, but I felt it was important to get some ideas forward early just in case.

As for the mask damage, I feel it's a nice way to go between rechargeable health and permanent damage for each dive. Not so much to be more costly, but a variety of masks to improve the suit's durability. More damage makes dives more deadly (chance of it breaking under pressure, leaks air, lets in water, ect). So, rather than having it cost a lot to repair, the big deal is you can't repair it underwater, you gotta get to the surface, so you can't be all super rambo if you find an air pocket in a cave and just run back and forth between a cave and nearby danger. Basically, stops regen kiting.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    There's also a welder... ;)
    Could be useful for these situations

And when you say submarine, you mean the little Seamoth right? Because the submarine is not yet released, and I hope you didn't just mean the pod you start in.