Suggestion: Add Load Script Capability

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
As this early stage build is for advanced users, many of us will write lua scripts outside of the game, only taking advantage of decoda in-game to make changes etc.

With this in mind, when you click the plus tab, can you have an import/add as well as create?

This would save me a lot of time while developing, and would also make it easier for modders to make custom versions of other packages, maybe because they don't need all features from one package, or they want to compile certain bits of different packages for their needs.

Just a suggestion :D

Comments

• MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I believe what you're asking for is something we have planned, but haven't gotten to yet.

When you double click a script in another package, it will copy that script into your package using the "replacements" mechanism and then you'll be able to edit it. This is similar to how you can open blueprints from another package and save them into your own package so that they overwrite the original one at run-time.

Does that sound like it would help in your case?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    That may help others making custom script packages for sure. For my particular scenario, adding custom lua scripts I have already written, it doesn't help too much.

A load option as well as create would be the easiest method for me personally, however others may differ.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    For files you have in some other location, you can just drag and drop them onto the game window to copy them into the package.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This was also my suggestion some time ago, as I am not skilled enough at lua to create from scratch, but I can definitely modify other's scripts. :)
    It would greatly improve the workflow as well, to just double click a script from a package you loaded.