Huh, I came across a Stalker sleeping?

MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
Hi.

Just tested out the latest build (10221), and I came across a Stalker floating on it's back. When I come within hands reach it woke up, turned over, and had one heck of a nasty attitude. I guess that is the price to be paid for waking him out of his dream he was having about eating peepers.

I also noticed that you have given better colours for the peeper as well. Blueish Green... Very nice.

Comments

• Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Hi.

Just tested out the latest build (10221), and I came across a Stalker floating on it's back. When I come within hands reach it woke up, turned over, and had one heck of a nasty attitude. I guess that is the price to be paid for waking him out of his dream he was having about eating peepers.

I also noticed that you have given better colours for the peeper as well. Blueish Green... Very nice.
    Heh, I have no idea about the sleeping Stalker, but the Peeper colors are actually a result of a big update we've been doing to all the older creatures and props, to update them with the newer shaders we've been using on the more recent stuff. And there's some other adjustments, like the hdri skybox the newer shaders use, and some specular color tweaks, which all result in the creatures and props being less dark, and a bit more colorful.
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    edited December 2014
    Hi.

Heh, I have no idea about the sleeping Stalker, but the Peeper colors are actually a result of a big update we've been doing to all the older creatures and props, to update them with the newer shaders we've been using on the more recent stuff. And there's some other adjustments, like the hdri skybox the newer shaders use, and some specular color tweaks, which all result in the creatures and props being less dark, and a bit more colorful.

That was a mouth full. :)

The fish look great, and you folks also added in the pearl effect to the cone coral as well... Simply incredible.

I just finished making a video, and you do get to see a stalker sleeping on it's back (I'll post it when it finishes uploading). I get close enough to poke him in the eye (why I think it's a he is because lady fish are suppose to look pretty... right?), then of course he wakes up.

This game just gets better, and better each passing week.

Cheers, and what a great update.

• MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The lighting doesn't look right in that video -- the sea floor is dark as expected, but other stuff like mushrooms, stalkers, and those tunnels are way to bright in contrast. If they are supposed to be bright, then they need to actually be glowing or something.
  • dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    edited December 2014
    Wow, haven't come across a sleeping stalker yet myself :D

Would be lovely to have more life forms that are only active during day or night though. Great video by the way. Keep it up :)
    Racer1 wrote: »
    The lighting doesn't look right in that video -- the sea floor is dark as expected, but other stuff like mushrooms, stalkers, and those tunnels are way to bright in contrast. If they are supposed to be bright, then they need to actually be glowing or something.

Yeah I know, I don't know what happened there. Bad copy or YT decided to have a bowel movement when processing it. The video doesn't do the game justice.
    dottedfish wrote: »

Would be lovely to have more life forms that are only active during day or night though. Great video by the way. Keep it up :)

I have come across this twice now. I'm with you, it would be nice to have to creatures rest at night. I thought it was pretty cool to come across a stalker sleeping but I guess it's a bug.

I say keep the bug, it works. :)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Yes, this is due the daytime hdri skybox that we are using in the shaders for most of the props and creatures, which I mentioned earlier in this post. It looks great during the day, but at night it is making things look overly bright. We are working on a fix for this. We will still have glowing bioluminescent parts on a lot of the plant life, but it should look more natural then the entire model just being bright.
    dottedfish wrote: »

Yup, this is being worked on, along with other behavioral differences that occur at night
    https://trello.com/c/29iHXWRf/2912-l2-make-creature-behaviour-noticably-different-at-night

• SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Here is the Video.

Aww man I thoroughly enjoyed watching this video. The team has been working hard on a lot of stuff, and it's great to see it all come together in your play through!
    edited December 2014
    I didn't think I covered all that much really, I just was googling over the cool colours... Good to read that you liked it. :)