Dedicated servers?

ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
Are you guys planning to add dedicated server support? From the pitch video it sounded like the emphasis was on friend-based groups, but I doubt I'll ever play it that way to be honest. Personally I would much prefer to be able to join a server that has an ongoing rotation of games, and the admins can decide which ones are most fun.

Comments

• HeadClotHeadClot Utah Join Date: 2009-12-20 Member: 69724Members
    Dedicated Server support would be awesome.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I'm sure this will be in the game. Can't see why not.
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    If there was enough demand, we would certainly consider it. We will have to see how it develops. Right now we are focusing on smaller games.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I guess dedicated servers all depends on how moddable you want the game to be.

If you want to give people the tools to make full solid in-depth games, then they will do that, of course, if you are specifically targeting more casual games and limiting the modding then dedicated servers are not necessary.

I do feel, that ignoring dedicated servers would be a very bad idea in the current multiplayer climate, as games reviewers are often critical of this about games. and to be fair, where would UWE be without dedicated servers in NS? Do you think you would have built such a strong community around the game?

I think dedicated servers will be important for UWE and for the communities of the mods that are being created. It also takes some of the server hosting load off you, and gives the players the opportunity to run servers customised to the gameplay they want, so they could run a gorgecraft style game etc, nudge, nudge, wink, wink :)
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    It also takes some of the server hosting load off you, and gives the players the opportunity to run servers customised to the gameplay they want, so they could run a gorgecraft style game etc, nudge, nudge, wink, wink :)
    We're not hosting any servers. The server is run by the person who starts the game.

There's no major technical barrier to supporting dedicated servers, so if there is demand we'll do it.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I want to make a sequel to GorgeCraft that will definitely need dedicated servers :)
  • FreakyyFreakyy Germany Join Date: 2014-12-04 Member: 199946Members
    I know you focus on "LAN" feeling, but dedicated servers would be an awesome thing.
    And support for bigger projects would be great.
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Personally I would much prefer to be able to join a server that has an ongoing rotation of games, and the admins can decide which ones are most fun.

Amen for that. I think that could make this game. A dedicated doesn't have to allow for ingame editing, hotloading etc. for me. I think it should be close to 'bare bones' to run different games. If we can have even 12 players then that delivers so much more options then 4 players.

• bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Guys, there is literally no difference between a dedicated server and a non-dedicated server. If you want to play on the server pc, you connect to your own pc and that's it.
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is lot of difference. First, if someone makes his own server then he has the 0 ping advantage. This can give a really huge adventage.
    For the rest dedicated servers have to deal with a lot less, they don't have to render graphics for example. This makes it better for good performance.
    clankill3r wrote: »
    There is lot of difference. First, if someone makes his own server then he has the 0 ping advantage. This can give a really huge adventage.
    For the rest dedicated servers have to deal with a lot less, they don't have to render graphics for example. This makes it better for good performance.

Don't forget that it also lets them run the server without forcing them to be on it.
    What I'm trying to explain to you is that every server is a dedicated server. It just non-dedicated servers have the same software running as a dedicated server, there is just the client running next to it, connecting to a local port. From the developer viewpoint, there is no difference.
    To simplify, dedicated server is regular server without client attached to it. Hence "dedicated"
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    bERt0r wrote: »
    What I'm trying to explain to you is that every server is a dedicated server. It just non-dedicated servers have the same software running as a dedicated server, there is just the client running next to it, connecting to a local port. From the developer viewpoint, there is no difference.

There is a difference if the game does not permit you to boot it in server-only mode. And more importantly, what I'm talking about at the bare minimum is having a server browser. Otherwise there's no point in dedicated servers.
    You also need a server browser if you want to connect to a non-dedicated server. Max already told you that they will permit it if people want to do it.
  • DreadPirateDreadPirate Arizona, USA Join Date: 2015-03-20 Member: 202339Members
    I also want to add my vote for a dedicated server.
    I'd love to set a few up for friends and family to play together.