Hanging Stingers - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageHanging Stingers - Subnautica

Subnautica features lots of caves. Michael, Russell, Jake and Oli have dug out all sorts of sub-seafloor caverns, tunnels and chambers for you to explore...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thrad
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    They look like barnacles from Half-life 2
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sir_zino wrote: »
    They look like barnacles from Half-life 2
    That's exactly what I was thinking
    I wouldn't dive close to them

But they look awesome!!!!
  • NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
    Another beautiful creature, but hard to say anything else at this point. Not much on the behavior card.

Personally and in character I would expect these to be passive hazards, touch them and get nasty sting, possibly they will try to hold you (tiny hooks, suckers or coil around). Most luminescent predators expect the victim to come to them (pretty much what the luminescence is for).

Gameplay wise though it might be better if these are more active (yeap like in Half-Life) so it's not enough not to touch them, you should also keep your distance.

Of course these don't even have to be predators at all. ;)
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited November 2014
    Maybe as deadly as box jellyfish? Nevertheless as most of your art this is absolute fantastic.

But you forgot some things that might scare you to death in tunnels and caves underwater: Eels in tunnels and a giant octopus luring in the corners. Finally a current pulling you deeper in.

Reminds me:
    Creeping phantom shadows ... you turn around searching for something but nothing there. Creepy sounds ... is a predator neering you or just an echo from far away or just your nerves?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Update, here's the 3D model: 546f761e38d38714186b96ce.png

And here's a list of behaviours for the hanging stinger: https://trello.com/c/fjbJu9yk/2936-define-hanging-stinger-behaviour
  • NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
    Gameplay-wise
    Seems fine to me. :) And I'd prefer it does lose light after the sting, so you get stung AND suddenly find yourself in the dark ;)

Immersion-wise
    How much damage are we talking about? Like with boom-fish (crash) it's a question of ecology. If this is Stinger's method of hunting there should be enough damage to instantly kill most small fish (a stung fish that has time to swim away won't be much good to the Stinger). On the other hand if sting is just a protective mechanism, like thorns or stinging nettles - a nasty shock would be sufficient to discourage anyone wanting to take a bite.