Please, fix the Hive!

rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
There are multiple issues with it and there are no recent threads about it so let there be one.
1) General slowness and timeouts like this: PY02Drl.png
2) Search is broken beyond belief. The only way to find someone is to type his or her NS2 nickname EXACTLY as it is. It's case sensitive and doesn't allow searching by just part of the name. It also adds a player (looks like it's that one with the zero id, I dunno how it's possible, he doesn't even have a Steam profile link), no matter whether there are matches or not. So here are my suggestions on how to make the search work:
2a) make it case-insensitive (important!);
2b) search by LIKE %query% (important! any missed space or a special char and you're screwed);
2c) if possible, allow searching by the Steam nickname (useful when you try to find a player only having "Recent players" in Steam, for example to ban him and you vaguely remember his NS2 nickname or he constantly changes it so it's impossible to find him). This would require more work like querying the Steam API and then showing the appropriate hive page but it's a really useful feature.
3) Remember the login cookie for longer time. Now it's session-only, I'd like to login once and for several months at least.
4) [Optional] Add sorting to the skill/score ranking table and make them one. 4 out of 5 columns are the same after all.
5) [Optional] If possible, add the side to the match history (marine/alien).
6) [Optional] If possible, divide winrate by sides, marine winrate, alien winrate. This may be also included to the balance formula so that people with high marine winrate would be more likely put to the aliens team and vice versa. But that's highly debatable so just a speculation.

Post your other suggestions, please. These are only what I think is important, there may be more.

Comments

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'd love to have NS2Stats like statistics on Hive. I seem to remember @Hugh saying something about UWE's statistics archive recording quite a bit, it's just not accessible to us.

What would make people who care about such things love the Hive is if it broke down your accuracy with each weapon per life. Keep track of the favorite weapon/lifeform. Keep track of which lifeform gives you the most value (what you get the most points as).

Commander stats are also lacking. I'd like to see a "favorite tech path". Medpack accuracy, drifter interaction (how many times per match you drifter support), that sort of stuff. # of rounds commanding vs playing. Time spent out of the chair (mainly aliens).

It would be even cooler if it broke things down by map. Balance trends by map would be incredibly useful for mappers.

For server OPs it could be neat to see a server breakdown of balance, activity, map trends, etc. Heck if it even went into "tech tree trends" and stuff like serverwide average kills per weapon/lifeform it would be freakin awesome. With the new(ish) ranking system it could go even more in depth and tie in which team was supposed to win each round.

Basically, I want as many meaningless statistics to geek out about as possible. I can dream right?

BUT at a minimum I'd settle for a working search function (typing in the exact name is not a search function).
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Calego wrote: »
    Basically, I want as many meaningless statistics to geek out about as possible. I can dream right?
    Yeah, this is your imprescriptible right. I couldn't even dream about all that so I digested the bare minimum of fixes as I see them. And a bit more. NS2Stats already has many fancy statistics, that's true, but they aren't used for the team balance (via the voting system). The Shine shuffle uses something else I guess and it's also not optimal. Hive is the default stats provider for all servers, including the unmodded ones so it has to be fixed, no amount of alternative and better services could make it better.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    There may be some large changes in this area very soon, no promises, but things are being discussed. :)
    Will keep you updated here
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks! This is mainly unrelated to the game so it may be much easier to implement. Crossing my fingers then.