Ubuntu Server or Windows Server 2012 R2 for running an NS2 server?

d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
I'm wondering which OS will be the best for running a Natural Selection 2 server.

I've used Ubuntu as a desktop OS before and it's the linux distro I'm most comfortable with. On the other hand I can get a free license through my school for WS2012 R2.

Other suggestions are welcome as well.

Comments

• ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    edited November 2014
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2014
    I would say ns2 runs most stable at WS2012 R2. But performance wise is linux better.

Some ppl really had issues keeping a ns2 ubuntu server running in the past due to stability issues.
    So those stability issue were the main reason many ppl decided to go with WS2012 (specially most professional ns2 hosters)

Beside that the second downside of Linux is only that loading takes longer than at a windows server so you should have your game files either at a ramdisk or ssd.

But otherwise overall Linux allows you to optimize the os ways better to the given needs and i would bet with investing some time you can make the ns2 linux server perform ways better at the same machine than the windows one without the need of OCing anything ( note OCing at a server is generally not the best idea ;) )

I saw some crazy ppl did build a arch-linux specially for ns2 gaining up to ~ 28% more perf. than normally at linux which is already better than windows.

So in the end i guess you will be better off with Linux once you start tweaking it and using some server monitor scripts like the ones from gibbs ( http://danielgibbs.co.uk/lgsm/ns2server/) to cover up those server freezes and crashs.

Because doing that you can easily outrun any win server performance wise while be able to cover the few more crashes via monitor scripts and therefor don't have really "more" stability issues than win servers.
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    @GhoulofGSG9‌, do you have an example of any tweak that would improve NS2 server performance while running Linux? I can't really think of anything.
  • profallprofall Join Date: 2005-08-02 Member: 57354Members
    I am using Daniel Gibb's server monitor.

I have only had crashes due to steam workshop problems (like everyone else, not linux related). I am getting great performance on Ubuntu 14.04.
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    hawk6 wrote: »
    I am using Daniel Gibb's server monitor.

I have only had crashes due to steam workshop problems (like everyone else, not linux related). I am getting great performance on Ubuntu 14.04.

That's nice to hear. I tried out WS2012 R2 and didn't really like it. As a matter of fact it made me put off the project for the time being.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    I have no issues with WS2012R2. All my game servers run fine. If you have beefy hardware the OS should be fine.
    edited February 2015
    SeeVee wrote: »
    I have no issues with WS2012R2. All my game servers run fine. If you have beefy hardware the OS should be fine.

You're not having trouble running an NS2 server under WS2012R2? Because I have hit a major roadblock that probably means that I will switch to a different OS. In short, the tick rate averages around 12 (on an empty server) despite the fact that the CPU is more than capable of handling it. It's an i5 760 @ 4 GHz. The only workaround I have found so far has been launching a program called Throttlestop. I didn't even have to "turn it (Throttlestop) on".

I double checked by booting the server up using my Windows 7 SSD and the problem was gone. To be clear, it was the exact same machine (and same settings in BIOS). The only difference being that Windows 7 boots off the SSD and WS2012R2 boots off a RAID1. I ran both operating systems in safe mode (with networking).

Edit: I have made a new thread about it. Please answer there if you have any idea.