Low End Performance News

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
I know that performance will go up and down, mainly down over time as new stuff gets added, but I thought I'd post a little piece on low end performance as of today. It's subjective as r_stats doesn't do anything, but hey :)

I have been waiting to get my PC back online. I am just getting everything updated now, and I have been using an old laptop. For a laugh I thought it would be funny to see the performance of subnautica on it. Bear in mind this is an old laptop, and I DO NOT expect to be able to run subnautica on this when it is finished. So to begin, see the specs below:

AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-70, 2.0 GHz, L2:1 MB
3GB DDR2 800mhz RAM
250gb 5,400rpm drive.
ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 Graphics
up to 1,407 MB total available graphics memory shared.

848x480 windowed
Minimum

Game took 4 minutes to load from main menu to standing in the rescue sub. I was impressed. As for the game itself, I was shocked to find the game was playable. Now don't get me wrong, I mean physically playable, not smooth playable. The frames jitter, but it is *just* smooth enough that you can still enjoy the swimming. Picking up items is a bit hit and miss, I find myself picking up as much sand as I do scrap metal, but again, because I know I am on low end equipment, it is immesely satisfying to know it can, currently at least, get an enjoyable, sometimes irritating, game out of it.

Thats is a job well done so far. It performed way above my expectations. I hope to get some better time with the game when my main PC finishes catching up with the updates from being offline so long.

I hope to report back tomorrow with how I am finding it.

---EDIT----

And I forgot to say, even on those graphical settings, it looks gorgeous :D

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    DDR2? That IS old.

Anyways, I think it's pretty cool that subnautica doing a bit well with it's optimizations (considering its state of development)
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    edited November 2014
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    well...that is certainly waaaayyy below our target min spec :P But good to know it's somewhat playable and at least doesn't just crash
  • CastleCastle New York Join Date: 2014-09-08 Member: 198307Members, Confirm Email, Subnautica Developer
    Can you tell me what games that system can run on full settings? Just wondering as a point of reference! XD
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Sorry, I have been busy playing Subnautica and Combat on my main rig. So much fun!!

I haven't had the laptop very long, but I will find out some performance numbers for max settings of games. I reckon it could cope with half-life 2 easily enough, I mean, it gets 11fps in combat with DX9, and 13 with DX11.

Anyway, when I have some free time and I can tear myself away from subnautica and the like, I will see what she can handle on maximum settings, i've a few games to choose from....
  • CastleCastle New York Join Date: 2014-09-08 Member: 198307Members, Confirm Email, Subnautica Developer
    Ah yeah that answers my question perfectly :)

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I should say those settings in combat are everything low or off.....