Another model

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
Hi,

If i wanted to add a another model what should I do ? (not re-skin; adding)

For example : Looking in directories i found several models of marine female.
111 296 394 female.model
  1 534 118 female_assault.model
  1 557 191 female_eliteassault.model
  1 460 412 female_kodiak.model
  1 766 432 female_special.model
  1 518 278 female_special_v1.model
  1 363 851 female_v2.model

One thing that is intriguing is the size of the files.

Questions :
1 / Are these models used in a cumulative way? Meaning NS2 loads the 100Mo model and then apply one of the other model file as a patch (depending on choice of the user).
2 / How to "register" the model in order to make the player able to select and use it ? Is NS2 scan for these player model ?
3 / Is it ok to ship the model with a map mod (like a complete pack for the map) ?

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2014
    Add me on Steam and I'll explain it in detail and give you the source files you will probably need. It's a lot to explain.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Yeah it feels like that every morning.
    I feel like I'm inside out every morning. Mind you going to sleep after 2am and having an alarm go off 7 hours later isn't great thing to be doing for 4 weeks.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    Hi,

If i wanted to add a another model what should I do ? (not re-skin; adding)

For example : Looking in directories i found several models of marine female.
    111 296 394 female.model
      1 534 118 female_assault.model
      1 557 191 female_eliteassault.model
      1 460 412 female_kodiak.model
      1 766 432 female_special.model
      1 518 278 female_special_v1.model
      1 363 851 female_v2.model

One thing that is intriguing is the size of the files.

Questions :
    1 / Are these models used in a cumulative way? Meaning NS2 loads the 100Mo model and then apply one of the other model file as a patch (depending on choice of the user).
    2 / How to "register" the model in order to make the player able to select and use it ? Is NS2 scan for these player model ?
    3 / Is it ok to ship the model with a map mod (like a complete pack for the map) ?

Yes. The smaller model files are re-using the animation data of the first female marine model.

To do this, use the "animation_model" directive in your model_compile file. The entire line will look something like this: (w/o outer-most quotes)
    "animation_model "models/path_to_model_file/base_model.model" "
    Note that the target file given is a model file, not a collada file.

Also, keep in mind that this REQUIRES that when you export, the EXACT same bone-setup be used, otherwise some very bizarre things will happen. Obviously this might not be possible for some models, as not all the sources have been made public. However I believe the female marine HAS been included in your "Natural Selection 2/assets" directory.

With regards to shipping the map, all you need to do is ensure that the base-model is accessible, either through the vanilla game, or as part of your mod. Example: if you were making another female marine variant, you would NOT need to include the base model, as that base model is already included in the game.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Hmmmm I like you but i have to tell you... hmmm you are a little late...

It's already shipped with the map (and pistol re-skin too, and alienS re-skin too...). But only available if you use the default model (re-skin force it like that)

It would be nice to improve the model system so we can use / choose any custom model or skin from the personalization menu. Approved modification only of course in order to avoid "pink skulk exploit" mod.

hmmm... is it awkward to say "thanks anyway" ?
    :)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @BeigeAlert So you didn't realise this was another in Ironsouls chain of random Necro's?

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @BeigeAlert So you didn't realise this was another in Ironsouls chain of random Necro's?

Nope, did not see that.
    Random? These aren't random at all! I read SamusDroid's non explanatory response and become enraged that it wasn't explained in the forum thread. But it looks like @BeigeAlert has come in and saved the day with his concise explanation.
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    Random? These aren't random at all! I read SamusDroid's non explanatory response and become enraged that it wasn't explained in the forum thread. But it looks like @BeigeAlert has come in and saved the day with his concise explanation.

*takes a bow*. But seriously, in the future you can go ahead and make a new thread if it's been more than a couple of months on the others.
    @Ironsoul : For the record samusdroid and me had this long conversation outside the forum. It was easier that way.

So, no need to rant about it.