Questions/Suggestion regarding lighting, etc.

sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
Question: Are you planning to do depths that are so dark you can only see what you light up with a flashlight, or is bio-luminescent? I know there are some somewhat dark areas now, but nothing as pitch black as you'd expect.

Question: In that vein, are you planning to do a day/night cycle?

Suggestion: So I'm really loving how bright everything is, but it seems to me that the game could greatly benefit from having much harder and 'realistic' shadows. I don't mean to make the whole thing ultra-realism, but very dark shadows (to the point of complete blackness if it's logical) could add a whole new dimension to the visuals and environments with minimal extra work required. Right now, you can go deep into caves and everything is still fairly well lit (and doesn't get that much darker until you're quite far in). Those areas could be absolute deliciousness eye-candy-wise with some absolute darkness and rare mood lighting.

It would also open up some really amazing things you could add: Bio-luminescence as the only ambient light, Angler-style fish, nocturnal creatures and cycles (assuming you did day/night as well), etc... just the whole contrast between the bright sunlit areas, and everything else.

Just some thoughts. I could continue to babble on, but I won't bother you with that. I just *really* think you could easily double the satisfaction of exploration because everything is so different in the dark.

Comments