Combat

trisdinotrisdino Denmark Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159590Members
So this here is a subject we should probably discuss. I know that the developers do not want to make a combat-centric game, and you know what? I whole heatedly agree, I really do not want that. What I do realize though is that for some of the games most intriguing and enthralling ideas to be implemented, there would need to be some form of combat, simply by necessity. So just to get this out of the way, I am not supporting a heavily combat focused game, I do not want boss fights or any other things like that, and I am not advocating spending lots of resources on incredibly advanced fighting mechanics.

What I would like though is some form of it. From what I have gathered about the games backstory, we are not some armed marine, not a survival expert, or really anybody else capable of fighting. The submarine was not designed for combat, and does not contain any weapons, and the spaceship we crashed in was probably something akin to a luxury cruise. This would mean that the only weapons available would be makeshift ones. Perhaps the submarine contains nets and fishing rods, which could have their ends sharpened, or perhaps one could attach sharp rocks to them with seaweed, creating makeshift spears. Or maybe, the bones of certain animals could be used as weapons. Perhaps, as the game progresses, and you get access to more advanced technology, you could create primitive harpoon guns, and other such contraptions.

The type of ideas I am exploring here are all non-combat focused. They are designed to hunt animals, not engage in war. A spear is not gonna slaughter thousands of aliens, and a harpoon gun can shoot once, is imprecise, and takes ages to load. These types of weapons would allow for a deeper interaction with the world, as you could actively participate in hunting, and thus have a far larger effect on your surroundings. With weapons in the game, you could have things like overfishing, where eventually, when you have killed too many gasopods, there are none left to reproduce, and they simply go extinct. From here, you can create a huge system of chain-reactions, all with very real effects on the world, and by extension, the player.

What do you guys think? And devs, do you intend to have any form of combat? It should not be the focus, it should not be easy, and it should not really be encouraged, but I do feel that it should be an option.

Comments

• Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    From what i have seen from trello there is only one weapon in the game and that is a gun that disables things.

• Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Yes, we try to avoid the term combat, because the goal in the game is not to go around killing creatures. However, there still are forms of "combat" in the game that players will need to use in order to defend themselves from dangerous creatures, or distract them, or put them out of commission so you can get past.

Players can attack and probably kill things with your knife. There is going to be a stasis rifle that can be used to trap creatures in a temporary stasis field. There will likely be ways players can move and drop a large rock on top of a creature, or maybe use a spotlight to scare them away, or blind them. These are just a few possible examples, but just in general we wanted to avoid giving the player a very defined weapon, like a harpoon gun or something that is solely designed just for the purpose of killing creatures. We want players to have to be more creative in how they deal with dangerous creatures, rather then just resorting to shooting them in the face.
  • Sir_zinoSir_zino England Join Date: 2014-10-09 Member: 198901Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Iv'e got to say i love the stasis rifle design. Also i love that you aren't just giving us random weapons of mass destruction. I mean if you saw a shark in real life would you swim away or pull out an AK-47 and shoot so many holes in it so it looks like Swiss cheese.