Improved NS1 to NS2 map conversion tutorial

SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited December 2014 in Mapping
There are a few ways that you can convert NS1 maps into NS2 maps, however, those methods involve like 3+ programs and a 20 step process.

There is a much better way to convert maps using Blender, a BSP importer and BeigeAlert's .level exporter.

You will need Blender 2.68
To convert a map download the quake BSP importer script v 0.0.5 https://developer.blender.org/T35778
Also download the level exporter script http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135007/blender-spark-level-exporter-d/p1

Install the scripts like any other plugin.

In Blender
File>Import>Quake BSP
Important! On the left side you will see options for the importer. The scale will default to 0.05, you need to change this to 1 or it won't work.
26ilUYb.png
Once you import the map into blender export as a level following the instructions in BeigeAlert's thread or
Select by type> Select only mesh
File>Export>Spark level

You can also use this method http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/136044/blender-spark-addon-for-blender#latest to import textures into spark from Blender
Do the same thing as above but instead export using the method mentioned in the thread by copying to the clipboard and pasting into Spark.

In Spark
Load your exported level
Important! You may not see any geo, that is ok. Select all and then set it to whatever texture you want (greybox texture)
You now imported a NS1 map into Spark without the extra faces that are created by other methods!
Importing ns_eon the wrong way
ea8rB6h.png
Importing ns_eon the right way
iSPkNpv.png

Comments

• KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    edited October 2014
    Dibs on the following:

ns_biosiege
    ns_cerbsiege
    ns_darksiege
    ns_digsiege
    ns_osmsiege
    ns_stormsiege

ns_nancy
    ns_lost

???

(Alot of siege map .bsps are "lost".. But what other stock maps to do? (not considering combat))
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    other stock maps are of course still in the NS installation. And since this is a decompile process it seems, we don't really need to original source files. It will still be a complete rebuild, but now based on a less insanely broken decompile.

Also Brywright's FTP is still online after all these years. lot's of combat/classic maps and nostalgia on there
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice tutorial. WIll have to give this a go to see how different it is to the other methods.

If anyone needs it, here's one of the other guides:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134042/guide-importing-ns1-maps-into-ns2
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014
    Use this version of the script. https://developer.blender.org/F24903

EDIT: Also, my exporter doesn't quite work as intended. It'll do the job just fine, but everything has to be ONE object, otherwise it'll only export one of the selected objects. :( So just before you export, select everything and hit ctrl+j to join all the meshes together. This doesn't weld vertices, just makes them all part of the same mesh. This will be fixed soon. ;)

EDIT2: Hmmm... seems that only works on some maps. Other maps end up with an error and you get verts only, like prevert reported. Hmm... Not sure what you did to get it to work Samus. :(
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    if anyone would be so kind as to convert bast and message me it i will make it my next map
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    KKyle wrote: »
    Dibs on the following:
    ns_biosiege
    ns_cerbsiege
    ns_darksiege
    ns_digsiege
    ns_osmsiege
    ns_stormsiege
    ns_nancy
    ns_lost

Not if anyone gets there first!
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    if anyone would be so kind as to convert bast and message me it i will make it my next map

@deathshroud

I've already made two rooms for Bast if you want me to try and dig them up?

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130726/ns-bast-community-remake
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    Is there anyway to export the texture data too? say i've got the .wad files and everything that contains all the textures ie

<mapname>.wad
    I can extract the textures from the .WAD with tools provided by Valve, and third-party developers, but actually creating the textures for NS2 seems to be troubling me, are there any up-to-date guide on how to create wall, floor, and all other textures/materials with like a 1-click process, it's pretty tedious doing it individually atm, surely it could be automated?

I really appreciate your work here :)

edit:Know why when i create a custom texture/material for my walls it just makes the wall transparent? is that because of the opacity map being the same as the normal map, do i have to have an opacity map?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2014
    Beige's .level exporter now supports exporting textures but the problem is that the bsp importer doesn't support importing textures, well it does but it doesn't work for ns1 maps.
    I've created material files for most of the textures that I can give you.
    As for your materials, ns1 didn't really have normal or specular maps, so you have to create your own. You don't need an opacity map unless the texture is something like a grate where it has opacity. You can see in the log output if there is a problem somewhere with your texture. That is probably why it is invisible, because there is something wrong with material. For now though until you create specular and normal maps for your textures you can just use the "Basic" surface shader with an albedoMap