Crosshair resolution etc

CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
I want to question: what the purpose of 64x64px limitation? And why FT and GL have the same slot in crosshairs.dds?
I don't ask to crash current system that will broke all crosshair mods in workshop. But can the CDT implement aditional .dds for "modders", e.g. crosshairs-lmg.dds, crosshair-gl.dds etc and remove the 64x64 limit?
It is possible that I want to play with smth like this with GL:
grenadelaunchers.png
or smth like this with SG:
Alpha%20Protocol%20Moscow%20Sis%20Shotgun--article_image.jpg

Why UWE had limited it?

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    im a bit puzzled why you want such huge crosshairs.
    You can already add quite some detail on 64x64 crosshairs.

A uncompressed crosshair file atm can easily be 250kb.
    Compressed it can be around 70kb. Of course compression messes up colour is depending on your crosshairs you may not be able to compress.
    Having more and more not compressed dds files of bigger size.. im not sure if thats wise.

• CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    Any answer from CDT or it is so stupid that needs no response?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited November 2014
    @decoy
    Help him out please. ;P
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Hey @crazycat_rus! Sorry for the delay, didn't see this

I checked with Mendasp. He said it's not a good idea to make a gigantic texture for a crosshair because it is a waste of space/memory. Sounds like it wouldn't be worth the time to implement :(
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nice try, CrazyCat xDDDDDD