NS2 Directives?

current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
edited October 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
I remember over a year ago there was talk about achievements and how they could work in ns2. Another game I play seemed to do something similar about 3 months ago. Below is a video that explains the system. The 4 min to 8 min is relevant. I think something like this could fit really well for NS2. I think it would impact the game to some degree. You'll have people trying to get axe kills and things like that but if the system is done carefully I don't think it would impact things too much. Players who are new now would feel like they are at least making progress in some way even if it is to just get a new skulk skin assuming that would be a reward. In addition players who have played 1000,2000 hrs now have something to focus on. Such a system would give incentive for people to play.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TbUw5oDkbvU&feature=youtu.be&t=4m00s

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2014
    Yes it would be nice, but most of the game is done in lua, and you would have to write all the code for these in the engine which would be difficult, or else someone could make a lua mod unlocking all the achievements or do them on a listen server in a few minutes
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    +1 for a video link that took me right to the relevant part of the video. Thank you for that.

We created a community-specific achievements system for TGNS. We designed the achievements to promote player behavior we wanted to see more of, and it seems to have worked well. Players don't have to do anything to start earning achievements -- they just play on our servers.

Each achievement has four progressive levels, each with its own distinct badge. Players can view their earned achievements on our TGNS Portal website (as well as designate which single badge to display in game, next to their UWE badges). Each badge has a description explaining how it's earned. Like UWE badges, our badges are clickable in-game, but ours display brief descriptions explaining how to /earn/ the badge. So, when players display their badges, they're educating other players about how to get that specific badge.

So, I think your premise that an achievements system can positively influence gameplay has merit. Two observations after six months of our system being live:

) players pursuing badges align themselves with gameplay we want

) players displaying their achievements encourage other players to similarly align their gameplay

We included a few advertised restrictions in the system's design to prevent abuse and malformed gameplay, and both have occurred and been insignificant.

We designed the system to /not/ advertise available, yet-unearned badges. The only way to discover a new badge is to suddenly earn it yourself or observe someone else displaying it in game. Also, the system (which doesn't advertise yet-unearned badges) doesn't show progress toward yet-unearned badges. This might be responsible for our negligible abuse problem: players just play, with only a vague, arguably subconscious notion of how these badges are supposed to influence their gameplay.
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2014
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Yes it would be nice, but most of the game is done in lua, and you would have to write all the code for these in the engine which would be difficult, or else someone could make a lua mod unlocking all the achievements or do them on a listen server in a few minutes

Uhm, if people want to get achievements unfairly all they have to do is use the Steam Achievement Manager. There's nothing NS2 can do to stop that. In other words, there is no need to try implement the achievements in the engine since people can unlock them anyway.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    d4rkAlf wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Uhm, if people want get achievements unfairly all they have to do is use the Steam Achievement Manager. There's nothing NS2 can do to stop that. In other words, there is no need to try implement the achievements in the engine since people can unlock them anyway.

I can't believe that still exists, I remember using it years ago... like in 2009 or something.