CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
Mods Running:
NS2+
Shine Admin
NS2Stats (beta)
Shine Extra Plugins
Badges +
<some maps>

So it's seemed to me that a lot of the time, when the first person joins the server, the mods don't load properly, if at all. It takes a mapswitch for them to fire up.

Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong?

MapCycle.json:
{
  "maps": [ "ns2_tram", "ns2_docking", "ns2_descent", "ns2_biodome", "ns2_refinery", "ns2_veil", "ns2_mineshaft", "ns2_summit", "ns2_jambi", "ns2_mineral", "ns2_caged", "ns2_veil_five" ],
  "time": 90,
  "mode": "order",
  "mods": [ "812f004", "706d242", "12e30acc", "b7149f9", "c6fbbb0", "fdf2c56", "63c559c", "7b986f5", "d873977" ]
}

Server Command Line file:
-name "Calego's Captains Corner Club - 200+ hours" -mods "812f004 706d242 12E30ACC 101ab256 d2577d0 b7149f9 7B986F5 d873977 63C559C FDF2C56" -map ns2_tram -webuser <not tellin> -webpassword <wouldn't you like to know?>

Comments

• ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Apart from the capital characters in the hex mod ids (which used to cause issues), you've probably just had bad luck with the workshop availability. It's been increasingly bad again for 10 days or so.

Your server remains on a single map for a long time when empty: http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/1523704/69.147.234.148:23150
    Might want to change "CycleOnEmpty" to true in your mapvote.json

Oh, and your server kicks players for alt-tabbing while seeding.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    ATF wrote: »
    Apart from the capital characters in the hex mod ids (which used to cause issues), you've probably just had bad luck with the workshop availability. It's been increasingly bad again for 10 days or so.

Your server remains on a single map for a long time when empty: http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/1523704/69.147.234.148:23150
    Might want to change "CycleOnEmpty" to true in your mapvote.json

Oh, and your server kicks players for alt-tabbing while seeding.
    I've got the Pingtracker on, I think that's the whole thing where the ping skyrockets while alt-tabbed. I expect I can turn it off, not many people play with high pings anyway. I didn't think about the alt-tab issue. I'll set it to cycle and see if that helps. Thanks!
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    I've overlooked you have a weird way to load your custom maps.
    You're essentially loading all the custom maps, every mapcycle, without regard for whether they are needed or not. It's better to only load the custom map mods when cycling to such a map.
    Compare your mapcycle.json to this one:
    {
      "maps": [ "ns2_eclipse", "ns2_biodome", "ns2_descent", "ns2_docking", "ns2_mineshaft", 
                "ns2_refinery", "ns2_summit", "ns2_tram", "ns2_veil", 
           {
          "mods": [ "7404cfb" ],
          "map": "ns2_honorguard"
        }, {
          "mods": [ "101b4e31" ],
          "map": "ns2_Stratos"
        }, {
          "mods": [ "7f8f8e6" ],
          "map": "ns2_prison"
        }  ],
      "time": 30,
      "mods": ["706d242", "c6fbbb0"]
    }

The mods section only has the essential mods that you want to force loading every time, while the maps section is telling the server to load the mod if the map is a mod.

Same goes for your commandline. Since you start off with tram, a default, there's no requirement for the custom map mod ids in there.
    You're essentially loading all the custom maps, every mapcycle, without regard for whether they are needed or not. It's better to only load the custom map mods when cycling to such a map.
    {
      "maps": [ "ns2_eclipse", "ns2_biodome", "ns2_descent", "ns2_docking", "ns2_mineshaft", 
           {
        }, {
        }, {
        }  ],
    }

The mods section only has the essential mods that you want to force loading every time, while the maps section is telling the server to load the mod if the map is a mod.

Same goes for your commandline. Since you start off with tram, a default, there's no requirement for the custom map mod ids in there.
    Something strange happened when I tried to model mine off of that, none of the mods would load on startup. I might have had a syntax error though, so I'll try to adapt this example and run it through a json validator later.
    edited October 2014
    {
           {
        }, {
        }, {
        }  ],
    }

Alright I've just edited my mapcycle.json to look like this, but nothing seems to be different, the loading screen still looks like it's loading all of the mods on the server (maps included) even though it's not going to those maps.
    {
      "maps": [ "ns2_biodome", "ns2_descent", "ns2_docking", "ns2_mineshaft", "ns2_refinery", "ns2_summit", "ns2_tram", "ns2_veil", 
           {
          "mods": [ "7b986f5" ],
          "map": "ns2_jambi"
        }, {
          "mods": [ "d873977" ],
          "map": "ns2_mineral"
        }, {
        }, {
          "mods": [ "FDF2C56" ],
          "map": "ns2_veil_five"
        }, {
          "mods": [ "63c559c" ],
          "map": "ns2_caged"
        }  ],
      "mods": ["812f004", "706d242", "12e30acc", "b7149f9", "c6fbbb0", "fdf2c56"]
    }

Does it need to know map first, then mod? Like so:
    {
          "map": "ns2_jambi",
          "mods": [ "7b986f5" ]
    }

EDIT: just reread your post and realized that I didn't edit the commandline. Oops. Two secs.

EDIT2: Having edited the commandline to remove the maps, the server now only loads the mods it needs. Awesome! Thanks for the tips @ATF‌!