Evolve last upgrades should be bound to the lifeform and related suggestions

rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
I believe it's not so hard to implement. For example, I prefer adrenaline + regen as a Lerk but after I die, I spawn as a Skulk and get celerity + carapace. Then I accumulate p-res for another Lerk and I choose again adrenaline + regen (manually). Or I pick the commander dropped Lerk egg and then want to get my last upgrades for Lerk, ad + reg, though I just picked another two as a Skulk.

As a further enhancement, there may be a button added to the evolution interface to quickly get those last upgrades for this particular selected lifeform. Or even better, if the evolution menu is already open and player presses the "evolve last upgrades" button, they're being selected but the actual evolution doesn't start until the evolve button is pressed. For now if I open the evolution menu, select some another lifeform and then press the last upgrades button, it closes itself and I get the upgrades as my current lifeform which is kinda unintuitive.

It could be pushed a bit forward if these per lifeform last upgrades will be preserved between game sessions. Personally, I rarely change those builds for my lifeforms and it may save me a second or two.

Another suggestion is to make the last upgrades more flexible when some upgrade is destroyed completely. For example, we have spurs and shells, I selected celerity+carapace, spurs were killed, I was killed, spawned again and want to evolve last upgrades. I get a failure sound and nothing happens. I believe the expected behavior should be to evolve at least those upgrades that exist now. And (what's important!) when spurs are rebuilt, last upgrades should once again use their last chosen variant. Even if I evolved several times not having the spur option at all. But if we had spurs and I have not chosen that upgrade manually, that decision should be stored as "don't evolve celerity/adrenaline completely". So the manual selection should always override whatever is stored in the "last upgrades" variable (or array of vars per lifeform).

For now "evolve last upgrades" is only useful when you play as a Skulk. Once you pick a higher lifeform, you'll probably change the upgrades so you won't use "evolve last". When you die, you'll once again change the build as you'll be playing as a Skulk. It's a pretty rare situation when you can get a higher lifeform with upgrades right after you lose one. And even in that case you'll chose all the upgrades manually to evolve in one turn rather than evolve to the lifeform and then get the upgrades separately.

That's what I expect to get from this button. Please correct me if I'm wrong and this behavior isn't intuitive enough.

Comments