Crosshai only during Alien side

ShanksShanks Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187153Members
Hello,

I like the default marine crosshair but i would like a simple dot all the time when I play alien. Is it possible to get or modify a mod and use it only when i'm playing alien?

Thanks.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yes it is possible you just replace the alien crosshairs with whatever you want in the texture
  • ShanksShanks Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187153Members
    Thanks for this superfast answer. How do i do this? Is there a tuto somewhere about this? I found a file "Crosshair" in my NS2 files but i've just got gl, mg, minigun, pistol, shotgun or spit.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    Yes, what they don't show is crosshairs for things they don't want you to have crosshairs for
    if mapname == Rifle.kMapName or mapname == HeavyRifle.kMapName then 
                    index = 0
                elseif mapname == Pistol.kMapName then
                    index = 1
                elseif mapname == Shotgun.kMapName then
                    index = 3
                elseif mapname == Minigun.kMapName then
                    index = 4
                elseif mapname == Flamethrower.kMapName or mapname == GrenadeLauncher.kMapName then
                    index = 5
                // All alien crosshairs are the same for now
                elseif mapname == LerkBite.kMapName or mapname == Spores.kMapName or mapname == LerkUmbra.kMapName or mapname == Parasite.kMapName or mapname == BileBomb.kMapName then
                    index = 6
                elseif mapname == SpitSpray.kMapName or mapname == BabblerAbility.kMapName then
                    index = 7
                // Blanks (with default damage indicator)
                else
                    index = 8
                end

return index * 64

These numbers 0-8 refer to the index on the crosshair texture.
    So 0 is the top one which is for the rifle
    Even though there is no texture for some of the indexes it doesn't mean that it isn't being used.
    to make a crosshair just use some texture editing software and make a texture similar to the one you see in the game files.
  • ShanksShanks Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187153Members
    That's problematic in fact I would like a crosshair only for skulk bite. Some mods do this but they also modify all the other crosshairs.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    impossible, here is why.
    skulk bite is shared with exo. (this one is actually 'everything else'.
    parasite is shared with spikes.

The closest you can get is to make a custom crosshair on the 'everything else' spot, but it shall NOT be skulk only.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2014
    impossible, here is why.
    skulk bite is shared with exo. (this one is actually 'everything else'.
    parasite is shared with spikes.

The closest you can get is to make a custom crosshair on the 'everything else' spot, but it shall NOT be skulk only.

Well then... This should definately go on the list of FIX IT

Or is there another legendary issue with memory allocation of a few more kilobytes :P
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @kouji_San
    Its not really a bug so I dont understand the memory allocation remark you made.
    Unless you mean ns2 is maxed on 32bit memory as is, which is sort of true.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    @kouji_San
    Its not really a bug so I dont understand the memory allocation remark you made.
    Unless you mean ns2 is maxed on 32bit memory as is, which is sort of true.

Wasn't there an issue with mo'materials for the new models causing a memory issue on XP/32-bit rigs? Just sayin' splitting them shared crosshairs could step in that lair once more in terms of kilobytes right. Also I'm jerking yer chain here :P
    @kouji)San
    Well in theory yes and not specificly for material files, but then you would need to be very close to the limit already. ;)

One anoying thing I did notice when making crosshairs is that if you save them with compressions (like you usualy save dds in ns2) it can screw up crosshairs. So crosshairs can not always be saved with compresssion, which makes them a lot bigger all of a sudden. Aaaah, fun fun.