Server ranking requirements?

nightsky_nightsky_ Germany Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198426Members
Dear all/devs,

I got NS2 just yesterday and to my shame, never heard of it before until then. I am really enjoying it so far and went to set up a dedicated server in the public internet to play around with it a little.

Excuse my ignorance if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find any meaningful information on it:

How does my dedicated server get ranked/whitelisted and how can I check its status regarding this? I intend to run a pure vanilla server, which I understand is a requirement for it to be regarded as ranked.

I am aware of hive.naturalselection2.com but it appears that I am missing how ranked servers are matched against anything official/approved.

Could someone shed some light into this?

Many thanks and best regards,

Sven

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    Servers are whitelisted at hive once they have send more than 50 round reports and have been approved to use no gamemode changing mod like combat or the faded.

This is basically done to avoid that someone is manipulating the hive db with fake reports.

Normally whitelisting happens each tuesday.
  • nightsky_nightsky_ Germany Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198426Members
    edited September 2014
    Much obliged sir!

The current server is running on a VPS but the goal is to have it run on a dedicated box to meet the performance requirements when going for a 24 slot server. That is scheduled to happen next week.

My servers are generally named "Rotten German Bastards *something*" in case anyone is wondering.

I am willing to provide rcon to the box once its up and running to halfway trustworthy people. PM me for details if interested.

Cheers,

Sven
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Please start your ns2 client, type perfbrowser in console, open the server browser and check what it says about your server.
  • nightsky_nightsky_ Germany Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198426Members
    ATF wrote: »
    Please start your ns2 client, type perfbrowser in console, open the server browser and check what it says about your server.

Did that but the numbers aren't really meaningful when no one is playing there I suppose. Will check again if some players connect there. I reckon though that when using a bare metal server instead of a VPS, the performance will rise. I shall be back once I have set it up next week.