Dynamic Props

YerMomYerMom Join Date: 2013-11-10 Member: 189252Members
I've looked around the forums here for about 30 mins and cannot come up with a solid list of props that can be made dynamic and the commands you can issue them.

We obviously all know about the fans.

I just recently discovered you can add a cool robotic arm to a map by adding a cinematic with this file: cinematics/environment/refinery/refinery_tram_repairarm.cinematic on an endless loop.

But, I'd really love to have a list of dynamic props put together... I don't have any understanding of them at all outside the fans, and I can't seem to find a list.

If there is a list, please let me know.

Otherwise, please keep the posts short and only related to the dynamic props you know about.

Mom

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2014
    I think the only things that are indeed "dynamic props" are simple spinning fans... The rest of the sexy effects are indeed cinematics... Could be wrong though as I've not went into the dark enchanted forest of mapping for a long time...
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Cinematics are made in the cinematic editor. These include 'Dynamic' props and even the fade reveal trailer...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    You are looking for cinematics.

Everything that's not an entity (like players, or structures) but still moves is a cinematic. The main menu is one. The annoying smelting pods are cinematics.

I recommend checking out the cinematic editor. It's fairly straightforward to use for low-level stuff, but be prepared for crashes.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    To clarify: cinematics CANNOT be collided with. Bullets and players will go straight through cinematics... which makes it all the more baffling as to why those smelting buckets are a cinematic...

Prop_dynamic objects CAN be collided with. The robot arms in Repair in Tram are NOT cinematics, but prop_dynamic objects.

You can animate ANY object in the cinematic editor, BUT again, it CANNOT be collided with. Thus, cinematics are best restricted to eye candy and out of bounds stuff (ie the plant carousels in biodome). Also, cinematics are client side effects. They DO NOT necessarily sync up. If you go out of range of a cinematic, it will stop playing. If a cinematic is triggered to start, it won't start until you are within range. (I ran into this problem a while ago when I was trying to make a crazy player-killing train cinematic for my map ns2_sws_metro. It didn't work out :( )

Prop_dynamic objects (I'm about 90% sure...) DO sync up, DO collide, BUT... you are reliant on animations that are already created because new animations are tricky to make as you need a very specific version of some very expensive software (3ds max 2009) to properly export them... not to mention that if you're trying to animate an existing prop in ns2, you'll need to de-compile the .model of the prop ( http://dev.cra0kalo.com/?p=103 )
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    prop_dynamic objects.

I didn't even know these exist! You never stop learning.

What beige said. Disregard my post. (Although cinematic still might be helpful for you. If you want stuff like moving fans... get a non-collision cinematic, and put some collision geometry on it. Easiest solution.)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Smelting buckets don't collide because it causes bugs when you cling to them and they move, it's also harder to move around and they shouldn't get you stuck and killed, that's worse than wires having collision
  • YerMomYerMom Join Date: 2013-11-10 Member: 189252Members
    I guess the better way to put this is:

Are the fans the only dynamic prop that can be animated?

There's a drill hanging from... Repair(?) in Mineshaft that swings. It collides. Does that mean it is a prop_dynamic? If so, what are the command options I have to make it move?

I'm just starting to learn about cinematics, and that's cool and all, but there HAS to be more to the prop_dynamic entity than just fans.

The vast majority of the editor is cataloged somewhere... meaning, I can find information and videos and everything else on just about everything in the editor... except a list of props that I can make dynamic and what the commands for those props are.

Mom
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    You open a model in the viewer and open the animation window. From there you can see what someone you can use.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    The drill in mineshaft is a prop_dynamic, yes.

Every single animated prop has an accompanying ".animation_graph" file in the same directory as the ".model" it belongs to. It's actually the animation name specified in the animation_graph file that you reference in the editor, while the animation graph plays the animations specified in the .model file. They usually re-use the same names, so it usually doesn't matter anyways.
  • YerMomYerMom Join Date: 2013-11-10 Member: 189252Members
    That's the data I needed.

Tyvm.

Mom
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    are there any spinning lights? or moving lights?
    are there any spinning lights? or moving lights?

Yes. You can create those in the cinematic editor. Take a look at the vehicle that drives through the readyroom of refinery (or one of those who are outside of tram, but the first one is easier to find). They have two spot lights in front of them that move just as they do.
    If you need any help with the cinematic editor you can PM me