Please Stop F4ing with Team Balance On

DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
It's a shitty thing to do. I understand your team won't always Concede when you know the game is over - just idling in base seems to be the best option.

When you F4 and Team Balance goes on the other team gets fewer alive players to end the game quickly. This mean the game drags out even longer though it's already very one sided!

So please stop F4ing when Team Balance is on. It just draws out an already 'over' game even longer.

Comments

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I don't know if its a mod, but some server's auto concede the smaller team after 30 seconds if player count is too far off. It seems to work well.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Racer1 wrote: »
    I don't know if its a mod, but some server's auto concede the smaller team after 30 seconds if player count is too far off. It seems to work well.

That's regular ns2.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    It takes less people F4'ing to concede as a losing team than it does votes to concede. If you can't get everyone to vote, getting enough to F4 is often easier. You have to realise, F4 to ready room was a standard thing in NS, and it is sometimes the only way to concede in some games, because of a few who don't understand.

It certainly shouldn't be a first choice, but if your concede votes are narrowly failing, it is another way to successfully concede.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

You're preaching to the choir buddy... unfortunately the people that do that aren't going to be reading these forums. :(
    I'm reading these forums just fine! However, I'm not going to sit around play COD simulator 2014 inside marine base because we feel like turtling on our 1 RT, or get egg camped.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    If you're lacking that one concede vote, f4ing is often a really neat way to end the game.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Has auto team balance - in the way ns2 implemented it - ever been useful?...
    At best it notifies both sides of an inequality, which text alone could provide
    It's been useful...

Every time the opposing team uses the excuse of: "You guys had X more people..." I reply, "Auto-balance is on.".
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    Roobubba wrote: »
    better, don't set up your server with autobalance ;)

Well, I say its the lesser of the two evils. Too many times I've lost a game because 1 or 2 people ragequit an even game because they flash a fade or lose a base even though we might still be in a good position. Some servers seem to have a serious amount of ragequitters, it gets even worse when that server also has reserved slots so that normal players can't join to even the game.

I suppose its acceptable not to have it on normal servers but it should be enforced on servers WITH reserved slots. I've played games lasting as much as 30mins being down 1-2 players since the start because nobody could join.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Yes, auto team balance is very useful.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    autobalance can be useful early game BUT if the team is leaving / F4ing then autobalance becomes a way to just drag drag drag the game out.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited August 2014
    This thread is kind of funny...

So OP wants people to not F4 so he can continue spawning, and his suggestion is for them to go idle in base instead... (so they are super easy to kill?)

The excuse for this complaint is that it makes games last longer...

... really?

Sorry but I say more people should hit F4 when the game is obviously over. Because
    A) It removes them from the game = less enemies to shoot/bite = easier to shoot/bite the chair/hive to end the game.
    B) It would cause autoconcede to kick in more often.

Which would overall cause games to end MUCH faster than going idle (and letting yourself be killed dozens of times) ever would. (Not to mention the fact that going idle tends to make your team rage, whereas hitting F4 is generally ignored)
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    Has auto team balance - in the way ns2 implemented it - ever been useful?...
    At best it notifies both sides of an inequality, which text alone could provide

i like that it attempts to keep teams somewhat even, and i think it does it in a half-decent way. okay, my team is totally outnumbering them, so i have to wait for somebody to die. fair enough.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Auto-Balance just means I am always swapping to the losing team to carry on playing...
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Without f4, I would have lost what little of my mind was left.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    Any average player checks the scoreboard just as much as his map. So they know it's uneven, they just don't want to swap to the "losing" team
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like auto team balance because it gives the larger team the option of keeping all their players as long as they're willing to tolerate it. Otherwise somebody would have to switch, and that really sucks when you've been playing with that team for 20+ minutes (and the other team is losing in part due to your efforts).
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Locklear wrote: »
    Sick thread, I'm sure this will totally stop this from happening.

you forgot the /s
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

I cannot deny it's not giving the result they hoped for.

Team 1 :
    Have player F4ing because they start to loose.
    Team 2 :
    -Have for a moment some advantage.
    -Player number gets reduced artificially (not spawning again)
    -They find themselves a little unable to finish it as the number of player decrease on the filed. And it's stalling and stalling and stalling...
    Team 1 :
    Turtle in base in the end.

I find it's better to get the game finished faster as the loosing team teamwork failed (they got to RR, responsible or not the result is the same). So we can start another one faster.

It would also remove the apparently new trend of "reseting" game all over the place. If we get to start one... pre-game is starting to take over.

Better disable the auto-balance.

• DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Locklear wrote: »
    Sick thread, I'm sure this will totally stop this from happening.

Sick post, I'm sure it will revolutionize not only the way we look at this topic and NS2, but will in fact change our very lives! Your condescending enlightenment should become a new form of philosophical problem solving!
  • NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    Has auto team balance anything - in the way ns2 implemented it - ever been useful?...

fixed. of course the road to hell is paved with good intentions

this made me consider things that are in ns2 that I would want implemented in other games I play:

NS2 server browser - no
    NS2 matchmaking - no
    NS2 engine/performance - no
    NS2 hud/gui - no
    NS2 hitboxes/reg - no
    NS2 dynamic features in maps (cysts/powernodes)- maybe, but not as the expense of gameplay like how UWE did it

I could cop out and say "asymmetrical gameplay (marines/aliens)" but all that was already in ns1, so it was never a new "wow this is cool" thing for me. and i always expected it to be much more refined after having 10+ years of ns1 experience to go off of

i guess the artwork/models looked pretty cool sometimes. so ya, if other games could be on part with NS2's artwork, that is a plus.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    That should be a PSA for all these longtime players who do nothing but complain.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Zek wrote: »
    I like auto team balance because it gives the larger team the option of keeping all their players as long as they're willing to tolerate it. Otherwise somebody would have to switch, and that really sucks when you've been playing with that team for 20+ minutes (and the other team is losing in part due to your efforts).

There is a far superior alternative. Just prevent ready room players from joining the team with more players. Perhaps penalize P-res so that both teams recieve an equal amount per RT (instead of an equal amount per player, per RT).

Perfect balance at the expense of enjoyment is a poor trade off.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited September 2014
    Yet after all these years (2008) of disappointing you and fueling your need to constantly gripe in here, you still play regularly and participate in forums.. It must've done something right compared to all those other games.
    p.s. Keep it on topic.

No need to be sarcastic. I would have preferred an answer without the checking of specific data. The best is when you don't use it.

While i don't give his answer much credit. I cannot deny that the priorities are felt as an excuse not to do the little things that ARE and MADE the success of NS1.

Ex: Keyboard setting like HL/NS1 (primary / secondary key) isn't a time killer and would have made the game far better, and more accessible to anyone. That's precisely those little things a lot of people hoped to see improved for NS2 due to the many "role" you have to deal with (com/marine, lifefroms).

It went to show a keyboard setting for commanders (qwerty vs azerty) with colors in order to see it done in next builds. That's an episode that left me asking myself "do they have programmers ?".

You can't satisfy everyone, but the little things like that are "quick wins".

edit:missing word
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Zek wrote: »
    autobalance can be useful early game BUT if the team is leaving / F4ing then autobalance becomes a way to just drag drag drag the game out.

SOLUTION - Auto team balance could disable after the start of the round (arguably the period of the game where a) differences in player counts make the most difference and b) the time players are most likely to willingly switch teams to balance things out) - so after 5 minutes? 10 minutes?