Sound range/What can a player hear?

simple_simple_ Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188102Members
Hey,

is there a way to know whenever one Player can hear another player moving?
Or is that completely on the engine side?

Example:
A Skulk is running near a marine -> I want to know that marine can hear the skulk.
The skulk is sneaky near a marine -> I want to know that the marine can not hear the skulk.

Or do I have to check that for every possible sound myself by looking at the range between the two?

Thanks,
simple

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Sounds (btw often in combination with certain animations) are also triggered by Lua so yes you can just hook into the sound events to know when a player is hearing another player.

The tricky part is to find where the certain sound events are :D Also derterming the exact player the other player is hearing won't work without some network hooking or using LOS traces.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    There's no way to improve this? I mean, that would be awesome if players couldn't hear other players through 3 walls. It doesn't make any sense & I always thought it's too bad to see that on NS2. For sure, this is not a priority or something but should be added on the To Do list or just think about it for the future. I can't even imagine how the game could look like if that was changed. Games will be so differents.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Pelargir wrote: »
    There's no way to improve this? I mean, that would be awesome if players couldn't hear other players through 3 walls. It doesn't make any sense & I always thought it's too bad to see that on NS2. For sure, this is not a priority or something but should be added on the To Do list or just think about it for the future. I can't even imagine how the game could look like if that was changed. Games will be so differents.

People are working at sound improvement just now. https://trello.com/c/KZhl7glH/414-fixing-5-1-and-7-1-sound-positioning-not-working-correctly

You can be sure that also that is somewhere at the large cdt to-do list.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The game already uses sound geometry calculations
  • simple_simple_ Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188102Members
    So can I asked the engine if a sound reaches from a position x to a position y?
    Otherwise I not only have to check every sound event that interests me, but also have to guess if the sound reaches e.g. 10 Meters.