restart game after every change?

clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
Do I have to restart the game after every change I want to test? And if not, how can I test changes on the fly?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2014
    there was a time the lua was hotloaded on file change (CTRL+S), but that's not longer working, right? Maybe it can somehow be turned back on, but could be buggy and the reason it was removed I guess... What about the "reload" console command. I'm actually not sure what it does and there isn't any description on the NS2 wiki

you could always load a map and arrowkey up the console, that's what I do when having to quickly restart or reload. Should be fast enough if you have enough memory...
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    there was a time the lua was hotloaded on file change (CTRL+S), but that's not longer working, right? Maybe it can somehow be turned back on, but could be buggy and the reason it was removed I guess... What about the "reload" console command. I'm actually not sure what it does and there isn't any description on the NS2 wiki

you could always load a map and arrowkey up the console, that's what I do when having to quickly restart or reload. Should be fast enough if you have enough memory...

The hotload function was changed in 267 so ist actually usefull now if you get used to it.

Overall i still go with "do a mapchange way" as it's safer and if you code the most time using lua 5.1 to parse throw your new code it's fast enought.
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    A cool, didn't know a map load was enough. I did exit in console and then restarted the whole game :)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    clankill3r wrote: »
    A cool, didn't know a map load was enough. I did exit in console and then restarted the whole game :)

Nah that's a basic overkill :D

All you want is to remount you files and recreate the LUA VMs which is done at a mapchange. If you want to reload the MainMenu VM use the reload button in the mod menu ;)