Yet another Matchmaking mod suggestion!

SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
With the new skill system coming up, could we make a "matchmaking" or "gather" mod for public servers?

So one of the main reasons why I stopped playing gathers, is simply that it takes too long to get them started. Naturally a more populated community would help remedy that, but that doesn't look like it's likely to happen. The public scene on the other hand, is fairly well populated in comparison.

What if we combined the two scenes, by making a mod for a vote option to start a 6v6 matchmaking match? You'd get to warm-up and have fun in a normal public setting, but would also get the competetive 6v6's in the same place once enough players are ready. - If possible, I'd prefere a seperate matchmaking rating for the gathers though!

The server would play normally like any other server untill someone starts the vote to start the match - maybe admins could configure it so the vote starts automatically once 12 players are in the server. The server would automatically assign both teams according to their skill level, and you'd basically play a regular gather from there on - and the server would automatically swap teams as well of course.
At least 12 players must vote yes, there's no value in forcing players to play a competetive 6v6 who don't wish to, and you don't want to force afk's in either.
Remember to implement the nsl mod with "rdy" as well, so that you can reset a game if needed. Abuse of this will happen, but I think it's relatively easy to overcome if we get to that bridge at all.

The benefit of this system, is that UWE or anyone else really, don't need to provide official servers for it - all server providers could implement the mod if they wanted to without investing in any more servers.

Immediate problems:
* It may cause frustrations that your pub game gets restarted and a new player doesn't know why: Make admin option to configure wether or not the matchmaking starts immediately or after the current pub game.

* A player leaves: Make a set time interval for the team lacking a player to find a merc, or have the same player return, or the game resets to pub status.

* The server has more than 12 players voting yes: Aim for the most balanced teams - perhaps make a sort of exception where someone denied access is guaranteed the next match.

* Players usually leave after a long gather match, especially if they lose, how do we conserve the servers playercount when the sudden drops happen: I don't know - I think we have to take that as it comes, I definetely see this as a problem though.

Even if the new skill system is revealed as inadequate - you could still make a similar system ensl has with captains who manually choose teams.

Note. It's often said here on the forums, that matchmaking wouldn't work because the playercount is too low - and others keep saying that the playercount is too low because there's no matchmaking. What came first, the chicken or the egg? This suggestion is a natural compromise imv, I think with all the awesome progress the CDT has been making we should give matchmaking a real try now.

Tl;dr: Matchmaking/public hybrid mod - no official servers needed