Why is everyone playing PCW:s so late?

AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
This seems like an ongoing problem with my own team. It was the same in NS1 as well, could play a few PCW:s every now and then, perhaps once per 2 months because none of the teams wanted to play as early as we did. Whether it's a timezone issue or a cultural thing, I'd like to know why.

We (Anti-Camping Vegetables - »ACV«) played a pretty good season 4 considering we rarely did any practice at all, though we would want to change that! Are there any teams at all that would want to play around 16-18 CET? Seems like people prefer to play around 20-23 CET which is just not acceptable at all (Obviously speaking about European teams here.) Why so late though? Do you people ever sleep, got work to be done, school, what is this? D: Or perhaps we're just in a really bad timezone where that one hour difference ruins everything.

Comments

• MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Work take up most time, having a newborn baby also takes up the rest, so no time left for me :(
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    We (gB) also have very limited PCW availability as some of us are parents and can really only play one or two nights a week tops. The other issue is what time we can get home from work (or for some of us, when we wake up... no names mentioned...). Some of gB are mainland EU, some are in the UK/NI, so 16-18CET would be 15-17GMT/BST - I don't finish work until well after 1700, so that rules that out for me. Then factor in time for eating and a bit of warm up time, and 19 GMT (=20 CET) is about the earliest we can do - okay sometimes we can make it a bit earlier with some planning, but not by much.

And yeah I really don't want to be playing too late into the evening as I have work in the morning as well. I know what you're saying, but earlier isn't necessarily any more easy, either!!
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    We (gB) also have very limited PCW availability as some of us are parents and can really only play one or two nights a week tops. The other issue is what time we can get home from work (or for some of us, when we wake up... no names mentioned...). Some of gB are mainland EU, some are in the UK/NI, so 16-18CET would be 15-17GMT/BST - I don't finish work until well after 1700, so that rules that out for me. Then factor in time for eating and a bit of warm up time, and 19 GMT (=20 CET) is about the earliest we can do - okay sometimes we can make it a bit earlier with some planning, but not by much.

And yeah I really don't want to be playing too late into the evening as I have work in the morning as well. I know what you're saying, but earlier isn't necessarily any more easy, either!!

That's exactly the issue with our team members as well. Early work hours, children and family taking a lot of time so we can't really play all that late. Shame really, can't get any practice at all and we're just getting worse and worse. Though always having fun, no matter what!
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    We ended up only playing scrims/PCWs on the weekend for the last 2 seasons. Very rarely did we get a weekday practice. Easiest thing to do is find everyone's common availability and schedule scrims instead of waiting around looking.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Maybe we can find a happy medium - a little bit later than your ideal time and a little earlier than ours? :)
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2014
    Is 20:00CET really that late though? Seems like a normal time to me. 16-18CET is undoable for most as that's the time they get back from work/school, start to make/eat dinner, etc...
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Neoken wrote: »
    Is 20:00CET really that late though? Seems like a normal time to me. 16-18CET is undoable for most as that's the time they get back from work/school, start to make/eat dinner, etc...

Unfortunately, that's already 21 for us Finns and most of our team members wakes up to work around 3-4am, need that beauty sleep! 19 is still doable though.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    for me 19 CET is at some days the earliest I can do and on other day 20 CET. we eat dinner at 18 CET usually and at some days I have hobbies scheduled until 20 CET. well and anything before that usually interferes with work times
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Yes like many said.. 19 CET is the utmost bare minimum and depending on other factors still to early. As thats 'coming from work & eating' time.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited July 2014
    Same as the others. It's just impossible to play before 19 CEST & just very hard to play between 19 / 20 CEST. People are going back to home after school or work and it can take time until 18/19 or even 20.

The fact is, after this, we won't play scrim or pcws only 1h max after our back. We need to dinner, to get some rest or just be relaxed for a while. Then, when we did everything we needed & wanted, it's time to maybe, practice. Between 20 & 21 CEST as you know. We have family, other stuff to do & NS2 isn't our priority, I'm pretty sure that won't change in the future.

Plus, we usually started to play at that time, we like to play some rounds before going to sleep. Play a game is for fun first, not an obligation or something. We want everyone motivated & happy to fight & 21 is the best time for this. That doesn't mean some of us won't have to wake up very soon the morning.

At least, I spoke for French guys & my team. By the way, we didn't practice since last March for Season 4. We only played officials (so considering that & our win, that's huge xD) as well but the reason is we didn't/don't have the time to train or practice. It's the summer & the holidays for now, most of the teams need some rest, some of them were disbanded, etc.

I guess it will start again around September and if, your bad timezone (CEST +1, that isn't really bad I think) can be boring, maybe teams can be ready to play around 20 CEST, that is 21 for you, and so, not too restrictive.

If I understand what you said, you, Finnish people are willing to play right away after going back to home? That's really different for us & that's definitely why it's super hard to play against your team.
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Same as the others. It's just impossible to play before 19 CEST & just very hard to play between 19 / 20 CEST. People are going back to home after school or work and it can take time until 18/19 or even 20.

The fact is, after this, we won't play scrim or pcws only 1h max after our back. We need to dinner, to get some rest or just be relaxed for a while. Then, when we did everything we needed & wanted, it's time to maybe, practice. Between 20 & 21 CEST as you know. We have family, other stuff to do & NS2 isn't our priority, I'm pretty sure that won't change in the future.

Plus, we usually started to play at that time, we like to play some rounds before going to sleep. Play a game is for fun first, not an obligation or something. We want everyone motivated & happy to fight & 21 is the best time for this. That doesn't mean some of us won't have to wake up very soon the morning.

At least, I spoke for French guys & my team. By the way, we didn't practice since last March for Season 4. We only played officials (so considering that & our win, that's huge xD) as well but the reason is we didn't/don't have the time to train or practice. It's the summer & the holidays for now, most of the teams need some rest, some of them were disbanded, etc.

I guess it will start again around September and if, your bad timezone (CEST +1, that isn't really bad I think) can be boring, maybe teams can be ready to play around 20 CEST, that is 21 for you, and so, not too restrictive.

If I understand what you said, you, Finnish people are willing to play right away after going back to home? That's really different for us & that's definitely why it's super hard to play against your team.

See that was the cultural differences I was talking about. You guys eat your dinners soooo late compared to us as we usually do it straight after work or maybe an hour later (Around 17-18), then it's either gaming time or whatever you're doing with your family. No wonder we cannot get any PCW:s going during such times. :x
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    You're like Spanish guys, you need to eat too early... x)
  • craZyfxcraZyfx Austria Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    We had a pcw on 19 CEST and you forgot about it, amad, your own fault :D
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Spanish usually eat around 22, they are probably the people that eat the more late in EU.

I really dont see 20 as late as it is the time people come back home or stop works usually in my relations... when we don't stop work 23.
    Regnareb wrote: »
    Spanish usually eat around 22, they are probably the people that eat the more late in EU.

I really dont see 20 as late as it is the time people come back home or stop works usually in my relations... when we don't stop work 23.

Yeah my bad.