Anybody ever do any Starcraft 1 mapping?

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
edited July 2014 in Off-Topic
Back in the day I primarily did UMS (Use map settings) maps for Starcraft 1. Even after Warcraft III came out with its vastly superior trigger system, there was still something attractive about Starcraft 1 and all the clever little workarounds you had to figure out to get certain functionality.

Anybody else?

Comments

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I made one of those madness style maps back in the day. It never really got outside of my friends at all since it offered nothing new and looked pretty terrible. I was just more happy that I got all the triggers to work.

And, of course, 14 old me stuck a small cheat in the map that required some insane combination of units and placements to activate. Good times.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Comprox wrote: »
    I made one of those madness style maps back in the day. It never really got outside of my friends at all since it offered nothing new and looked pretty terrible. I was just more happy that I got all the triggers to work.

And, of course, 14 old me stuck a small cheat in the map that required some insane combination of units and placements to activate. Good times.

Haha oh yea I remember those maps. Usually some pop culture theme "Simpsons madness"... or "South Park Madness" for example.

I started plenty of maps, just never really finished most of them. The best one I finished was called "Defiler Gunz: Jungle". It was a deathmatch arena style game, where you controlled a defiler, and cast dark swarm to shoot. Never really caught on.

But that paled in comparison to that "Rush: Ep. 1" map. Anybody play that? It had the defiler weapon system, and a ton of crazy boss battles. It's almost kind of depressing to go back and look at these maps, to remember the mapping communities back then. It's all gone. :(
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Haha oh yea I remember those maps. Usually some pop culture theme "Simpsons madness"... or "South Park Madness" for example.

I started plenty of maps, just never really finished most of them. The best one I finished was called "Defiler Gunz: Jungle". It was a deathmatch arena style game, where you controlled a defiler, and cast dark swarm to shoot. Never really caught on.

But that paled in comparison to that "Rush: Ep. 1" map. Anybody play that? It had the defiler weapon system, and a ton of crazy boss battles. It's almost kind of depressing to go back and look at these maps, to remember the mapping communities back then. It's all gone. :(

I'm afraid that will happen that will happen to NS2, as well. In two years, will there be anyone left to play all those maps created by the SCC?

All that hard work... pointless.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

I'm afraid that will happen that will happen to NS2, as well. In two years, will there be anyone left to play all those maps created by the SCC?

All that hard work... pointless.

It's not entirely pointless, you still have something to show people... assuming you actually finished the map.
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    I remember playing with the editor from scratch one day to see whether I could understand the underlying principles by trying to recreate a Brood War expansion single player mission. Basically one random afternoon trying to see whether a had a brain/modicum of intelligence or not.

I also remember a friend wanting to create a map around mining operation and defending a stream of SCVs. He did the balancing and actual map design, and wanted me to sort out the triggers. We tested it, and I just took off the CCs and flew them to the mineral field all the way across the map. He didn't know you could do that nor that you couldn't remove that ability :P

However sitting here typing I have just thought an inelegant solution would simply to have the CCs be destroyed when they reach the flying plane and recreated on the ground. It does go to show to increased power (and complexity!) of War3/SC2 editors with being able to remove/add/change an ability on any unit you wish.
    Aldaris wrote: »
    I remember playing with the editor from scratch one day to see whether I could understand the underlying principles by trying to recreate a Brood War expansion single player mission. Basically one random afternoon trying to see whether a had a brain/modicum of intelligence or not.

I also remember a friend wanting to create a map around mining operation and defending a stream of SCVs. He did the balancing and actual map design, and wanted me to sort out the triggers. We tested it, and I just took off the CCs and flew them to the mineral field all the way across the map. He didn't know you could do that nor that you couldn't remove that ability :P

However sitting here typing I have just thought an inelegant solution would simply to have the CCs be destroyed when they reach the flying plane and recreated on the ground. It does go to show to increased power (and complexity!) of War3/SC2 editors with being able to remove/add/change an ability on any unit you wish.

See what you'd do there is just detect when the command center entered a location set to "air only" that was right above it, delete it, and re-place it. We didn't need no "removing abilities", we got by just fine!

Also, I think I have a theory as to where your name came from. :)
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    Yeah, as I said as I was typing that I realised on that solution :)

Heh, right game wrong name. It was a LAN party about 14-15 years ago. Think we were playing HL multi or something. We needed names so I went for one from StarCraft. Lo and behold though that when I next played SC I had Aldaris and Artanis mixed up. However I had been using the name for awhile by then so stuck with Aldaris. Back then I could nearly guarantee to be the only person using that name on forums, game characters and accounts.
  • Shoot_meShoot_me Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8696Members
    Made a few of those, mainly "build ASAP you have 60 seconds before the zerg" start rushing you co-op maps. Fun times.