Server browser funnels players into mass servers -> Players stop playing NS2 because "it's laggy"

CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I do not want to start a discussion here wether or not these mass servers (20 slots+) are fun to play with or "better for rookies", there are enough threads for that in the general discussion.

I argue that many players (especially the ones who do not play competitevely) do not know that 99 % of all FPS and Hit Registration issues are explained by too high player counts (the server CPU cant handle it, the client CPU cant handle it).

Now the problem I see with the server browser is, that it displays servers with more slots more prominently. This leads to those servers having a higher probability of being filled.

Another outcome of this (which is, I think, widely overlooked) is, that server admins have an incentive to set their servers up with a high slot-count, because those servers tend to attract more players.

So what am I proposing?

In general, some more useful default sorting of the server browser.

Some ideas:

As default sorting - "Sort by Server Performance column" (meaning, does it have problems with Hit Registration due to overload); I think the tickrate plays a role for that also, not sure tho; Note that I do not neccarily mean the current implementation of the "Performance" Indicator, as I am not sure what it actually represents; it doesnt seem to be very meaningful right now, because it shows servers as 100 % which are having HitReg problems.

As "Sort by Player numbers column" - Do not show servers with many slots prominently, maybe even show the servers with the fewest slots most prominently, or else something in between. I think reworking the player column sorting is important because I believe many people use it.