Original inspiration for khaara skulks?

meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
From Dawkins' Climbing Mount Improbable -
frog.png

:P

Comments

• CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Eyes inside the mouth, such a genius concept, close mouth and your eyes are safe!

No question this is what happens when you give evolution enough time. Kappa
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    From many months and Years of research we have come to this conclusion, When in combat the Khaara, there eyes Gestate into there mouth so they cant be shot off or hurt there for making them hard to stop and kill,
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2014
    I always anticipated it like, the throat of the khaara are covered in photoreceptive cells (or, if you will... Bacteria) that provide them with basic vision.

Alien vision is actually what their eyeballs see (overlaid on the more general information they get from the throatvision) - the eyes are only themselves capable of monochromatic vision, but a close link with the kharaa equivalent to a frontal lobe means that visual elements related to ongoing tasks are significantly highlighted.

I should be science bullshit correspondent for NS2 yo
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I always anticipated it like, the throat of the khaara are covered in photoreceptive cells (or, if you will... Bacteria) that provide them with basic vision.

Alien vision is actually what their eyeballs see (overlaid on the more general information they get from the throatvision) - the eyes are only themselves capable of monochromatic vision, but a close link with the kharaa equivalent to a frontal lobe means that visual elements related to ongoing tasks are significantly highlighted.

Not Bad.

The only problems are the actual eyes you can see on the outside of the mouth.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2014
    Why is it always frogs or toads... I'm keeping an eye on the from now on :-?
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited July 2014
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Why is it always frogs or toads... I'm keeping an eye on the from now on :-?

Water. They absorb air underwater.. and live in it (toads aside). Earth's water supply is full of yummy radioactivity and garbage :) mmmmmm

Oh, and their eggs and obviously tadpulls are also in the stew.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Calego wrote: »

Not Bad.

The only problems are the actual eyes you can see on the outside of the mouth.
    Second paragraph yo :D
  • LunSeiLunSei Tarnax IV Join Date: 2014-06-21 Member: 196674Members
    I'm of the idea this is a bad example of taxidermy.
  • vartijavartija Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60193Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Oh, look, it's a skulk dog:

av0bALO_700b.jpg