Remove extractors (+maybe other structures?) from Space bar queue as marine comm

meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
"I NEED A MEDPACK"
*spacebar*
Why am I staring at an extractor? Oh thats right, a skulk took a couple of bites and ran off and now my best marine is dead.

I'm not sure there's ever a situation where I would need to spacebar to an extractor. At most the only attention they ever get from me as a comm is either a HP check in passing or a scan when it's under attack, to help marines from getting ambushed.

However this feature does kinda get really irritating when you get
"omg no meds noob comm"
"dude skulks keep biting extractors while i'm doing stuff, once I've space barred to that extractor by mistake there's no way to know who wanted that medpack"

Sure, I could check the map to see if anyone's in an engagement, but that takes precious milliseconds and often it's not obvious who asked.

As for the alert message on the right, that's kinda good so it can stay. I just dont want to medspam any more extractors :((

Comments

• CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I totally agree with your suggestion. I think actually @Mendasp did something for that in his NS2+ mod. Some option called "(Comm) Spacebar alert queue" with the option "Prioritize Player alerts". I have not tested it yet and don't know exactly what it does.

One minor correction:
    "dude skulks keep biting extractors while i'm doing stuff, once I've space barred to that extractor by mistake there's no way to know who wanted that medpack"

You can click the messages and it will teleport you to the location as well, so you could use that function there.

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited July 2014
    What that option does is what it says. If there's player requests in the alert queue it goes to that. You can only get to a building with spacebar with the option set like that in the case that there are 0 player requests queued.

Edit: I proposed this to be the default behavior in build 268, as we're already in code lockdown for 267.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Woooooo great minds think alike eh @Mendasp‌ ;)

Also @CmdrKeen‌ herp derp i forgot about that ^^ Still, mendasp's change will be a far more elegant and polished solution. Fucking <3