Display skill level icons to server browser

_INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. I recently saw this on Trello: https://trello.com/c/9DCv54YY/374-add-skill-level-icons-to-server-browser-indicating-server-skill-relative-to-player-skill
and thought the ++,+,=,-,-- system and its coloring is very misleading. What does it mean if it has a + for instance. I have more skill, server has more skill...
Also its not very appealing visually (even though its probably just temporary?)
I don't know how else to display the skill level in respect to ones own skill. Maybe use the previous bars and denote the players skill with a horizontal line?

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    I'm just leaving the note from the temp changelog here:
    Replaced the skillrate bars with 5 icons displaying how your ranking is compared with the avg. skill rating at the given server:
    ++ = the given server contains alot ppl stronger than you
    + = the given server contains some ppl stronger than you
    = = the given server contains mostly same skilled players as you
    - = the given server contains some weaker players like you
    -- = the given server contains mostly weaker players than you ( joining such a server can ruin the fun of all players playing at it please don’t do so )

The main idea behind this change is that currently you can't really use the skill column as you are not aware of your own skill.
    We decided to not show the players skill directly ingame to avoid ppl feeling bad about themself.

The icons may be abit confusing first but i guess most ppl will figure out due to the color theme used that you should join servers with a = if possible.

Also we would like to lead ppl if no = server is avaible to + servers as that helps ppl to improve and avoid possible stombing of lower skilled players thats why we use + for servers with a higher avg. skill as most cultures assume + to be better.

Overall this system aims to help ppl find servers with even skilled players or abit higher skilled players.

Please also have in mind that with 267 a new skill system will be used. So we expect that the new skill rating actually works out.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    I see.
    Is ++ and -- red, + and - yellow and = green ? But shouldn't you be gaining (much) skill only on servers with + and ++ with the new system?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    I see.
    Is ++ and -- red, + and - yellow and = green ? But shouldn't you be gaining (much) skill only on servers with + and ++ with the new system?

The answer to the first question is yes.

About the second one:

That one is really hard to answer because the new systems takes alot of things into account ( basically it measures the impact you had on the round for your teams win and rates based on how much it expected you and your team to win vs the other team based on the skills and than changes your skill based on that )

So generally spoken it depends really one the individuell player and the given server.

If you join a ++ server and fastly adapt to that skill level then your skill level will become pretty fast the same as you got trained by higher skilled players ( just saying you can adapt to their level, everyone has a limit).

And that in the past ++ server will become a = server for you.

On the other hand some ppl learn faster by enjoying the game together and improving themself as a group so the server those ppl would play on would be always a = server for them but overall their skill would improve as they improve.

So to make it short i can't really answer you that question as it really comes down to the given player and his potential max skill, learning rate and the time he/she invests into ns2 and so on.

Overall imho you will improve your skill the best and fastest way by playing mostly at = and + servers ;)

But please keep in mind that the goal of the skill system is not to force ppl to improve but to help ppl to find even players to play with.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like that it does depend on learning rate because I have 1200+ hours in ns2 and am now pretty decent at the game, but I was utterly terrible for at least my first 300 hours. Then I see guys who have 200 hours and are as good as I am with 1200+.