stereo 3d support

NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
will this game be supported by nvidia's stereo 3d!?

Comments

• NessNess Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10935Members, Reinforced - Onos
    3D vision works with pretty much any game these days. The hurdle is whether or not developers design specifically around it, since there can be so many issues like lighting or HUD clashes. What I think would be a coup for this game is if it offers Oculus Rift support. When the Rift first comes out with a consumer version, any game offering Rift support is likely to see a real sales boost just because there isn't much competition in the form of real working games. A quality game could really take a growing market by storm and an exploration game is uniquely suited to a VR environment. As someone who has used 3D vision for years and has also used the Rift for a few months, I can easily say the future lies with VR and 3D vision is going to be a thing of the past. If it's realistically doable, then why not double dip?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Ness wrote: »
    3D vision works with pretty much any game these days. The hurdle is whether or not developers design specifically around it, since there can be so many issues like lighting or HUD clashes. What I think would be a coup for this game is if it offers Oculus Rift support. When the Rift first comes out with a consumer version, any game offering Rift support is likely to see a real sales boost just because there isn't much competition in the form of real working games. A quality game could really take a growing market by storm and an exploration game is uniquely suited to a VR environment. As someone who has used 3D vision for years and has also used the Rift for a few months, I can easily say the future lies with VR and 3D vision is going to be a thing of the past. If it's realistically doable, then why not double dip?

Are you a 3D vision user? I've found that only a handful of my games actually work well with 3D, Portal 2 being the best. Many many others that I would LOVE to be 3d, simply don't work. Dead Space for example just doesn't work (any particle effects appear 2d, and gives you a nasty headache!) Other games, like Starcraft 2 and Company of Heroes, work OKAY, but HUD elements are still 2D (including things like health bars, not just things confined to the bottom of the screen, unfortunately :( )

I would love this game to be 3D vision ready, but that's probably not going to happen... they have enough to worry about as-is.
  • NessNess Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10935Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I've been using 3D vision since the first iteration and 3D monitors for a few years. You just repeated what I said, though! 3D vision can create a steroscopic image of basically any 3D game and create a convergence point, which creates the depth illusion 3D gaming is known for. It is up to the developers to design around HUD issues, etc. Other issues such as volumetric fog messing with lighting are core issues of game engines, with that example being a problem in the Unreal 3 engine. Instead of wasting time designing the game around a passing fad, I am saying it would be more productive to take the Rift into consideration. 3D stereoscopic gaming is already dead and won't be remembered once the Rift is officially released.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Ness wrote: »
    I've been using 3D vision since the first iteration and 3D monitors for a few years. You just repeated what I said, though! 3D vision can create a steroscopic image of basically any 3D game and create a convergence point, which creates the depth illusion 3D gaming is known for. It is up to the developers to design around HUD issues, etc. Other issues such as volumetric fog messing with lighting are core issues of game engines, with that example being a problem in the Unreal 3 engine. Instead of wasting time designing the game around a passing fad, I am saying it would be more productive to take the Rift into consideration. 3D stereoscopic gaming is already dead and won't be remembered once the Rift is officially released.

Ah I see. I just read "3D vision works with pretty much any game these days." and well... that did it... :) There's just some games out there that simply don't work... there must be some bizarre shadow rendering technique out there that some games use that doesn't work with 3d vision, because I see that quite a lot come to think of it.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    There's just some games out there that simply don't work... there must be some bizarre shadow rendering technique out there that some games use that doesn't work with 3d vision, because I see that quite a lot come to think of it.

A lot of techniques for great visuals in today's games are huge hacks really. Whenever you come across phrases like "screen space X" where X might be lighting, shadows, occlusion, normals, etc. there's a fake going on. Sprites, volumetric fog, explosions, bloom, healthbars, etc. being other examples of 2D stuff within 3D graphics. The graphics engineers pushed those hacks to a very sophisticated level both in terms of visual appeal and performance. But as soon as you view the scene from another angle (as is the case with stereo vision) the fake falls apart and the trick becomes obvious. That and headache.

So as long as you don't fake anything stereo 3D vision just works right away. But developers might have to cut some good looking features to get there.
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    Stereo 3d is dead. Virtual reality is a much cheaper device.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS-Soldier wrote: »
    They render in pretty much the same way. Stereo 3d support means the engine at least supports most of the visual aspects required to make it HMD ready.
    edited July 2014
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    NS-Soldier wrote: »
    They render in pretty much the same way. Stereo 3d support means the engine at least supports most of the visual aspects required to make it HMD ready.

Yea you'd already have stereo 3d support if you have VR support. VR is just adding the extra step of making your character face the way you're facing.