If Quake was done today

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
At times on these forums, fun vs realism has come up. Whenever it did I wanted to post this video, but for a long time I couldn't find it. Well I just found it again and thought I would share. Many of you have probably already seen it.

Now besides me saying "Hey cool video" we could also have a discussion. We could discuss fun vs realism. Another one I see is the parallels between if Quake was done today compared to ns1 being done today as ns2 in comparison. Or we could just say "Cool video" and be done with it.

Comments

• RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll give you one game that tried to do the fun vs realism approach wrongly...Medal of Honor: Warfighter. While not an accurate portrayal of real life combat, it tried to be serious and approach the subject matter in a way that sacrificed fun and gameplay for set pieces and blockbuster special effects. Go watch Totalbiscuits video on it and see why he hates it.

Unless a game is built for authenticity like ARMA, fun should always take precedence over realism especially if the premise is entirely based on fiction like NS.

If you gave me a choice between authenticity NS and fun NS, I would take the latter in a heartbeart. Other than that, I don't think Quake is an accurate portrayal of realism vs fun, just old school shooter mechanics vs new but again, I'd take classic Quake over BF or CoD any time.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    Other than that, I don't think Quake is an accurate portrayal of realism vs fun, just old school shooter mechanics vs new but again, I'd take classic Quake over BF or CoD any time.
    I would argue that the new mechanics of todays games as shown are more realistic than the spastically fun speed of quake.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's true. Buuut just rocket jumping fast around a map is no fun :|
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    james888 wrote: »
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    Other than that, I don't think Quake is an accurate portrayal of realism vs fun, just old school shooter mechanics vs new but again, I'd take classic Quake over BF or CoD any time.
    I would argue that the new mechanics of todays games as shown are more realistic than the spastically fun speed of quake.

Yes but they're still not realistic, just more so than Quake seeing as how Quake is the absolute antithesis of modern FPS. Regenerating health is not realistic, 2 weapon limit is debatable, CoD perks and traits aren't realistic, dying randomly because you wandered outside of the battle zone is not realistic, ejecting out of jets onto another jet isn't realistic. In general, MMShooters try to be big spectacle, hollywood and blockbuster setpieces and special effects with a lot of corridor shooting in their campaigns. It's not trying to be realistic in a sense, just big scale.

I don't argue that Quake is more designed to be fun than realistic compared to modern FPS. It's called an arena shooter while CoD and BF are more or less referred to as arcade shooters. I'd say the mechanics of modern games have been dumbed down since their old school counterparts considering that core gaming is now much more mainstream than it was nearly 20 years ago. Dumb games appeal to dumb people, making them more complicated and challenging makes them distinguishable from the status quo which, when it comes to FPS, is usually a bad idea nowadays but maybe it will pick up again with the new UT game. I hope so since I've boycotted any MMS since MW2.

TL;DR - Modern FPS is not really realistic but moreso than Quake and it does sacrifice fun for big spectacles.

I'll leave this here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOHyD49DaeA
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    FPS realism needs to take a few steps from this baby -

most realism game ev. .WTF!!
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I loved Quake 1! Best game ever made. I started programing thx to this game. I made a complete mod for it with maps new weapons etc. I think there wasn't so much games to choose from. That's why every one played one game and tryed to be good at it. That was my first game to start clan games [FX] (Frag Executors). This game was very popular in Internet caffes in schools. First Tournaments world wide. I think that Quake was first game to start egamming. Back to the topic. Games done now are more casual friendly. You get the game, and you play. No 1000+ hours in needed to play it. Games now aren't demanding...
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Big rigs is just b0rked and unfinished. Ride to hell retribution, now there's an exceptionally terrible game.

I can't decide if the ending of Limbo of the lost is awesome or really really REALLY terrible (it was a puzzle game that was removed from steam due to stealing art assets from other games):

• Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    More in the same vein as the OP: