Cut the Knife

LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
You can see a knife being held by the player in this screenshot of Subnautica.

TL;DR: I don't think that's a good idea. Subnautica is supposed to be a nonviolent game.

Allow me to explain. There really only are two types of people in the world. Those who play first person shooters and those who don't. This knife doesn't help either of them.

For those who play FPS the knife is a promise about to be broken. These people are so used to run around with knifes, swoosh it around, attack the darkness, and basically stab everything - beings and things. They expect beings to bleed, suffer, and die. They also expect more weapons. Harpoon? Torpedo? Grenade fishing? Nuke from orbit? It doesn't stop.

As I understand it Subnautica doesn't want any of this. So why include the knife? Perhaps it is meant as a tool but it is presented like a weapon. If you just wanted your players to have a knife to harvest more stuff you could make that stuff clickable only if you have a knife in your inventory. You might even have an animation that takes the knife out, harvests, and puts the knife away again. That way everyone would see the knife as a tool, not a weapon.

Those who don't play FPS and look over the shoulder (parents anyone?) of someone playing Subnautica will probably not be able to focus on anything but the knife as a weapon. Beautiful scenery? Stunning fish? Who cares, this game must be violent! Questions raise. Can you swing the knife? Can you hurt the fish? Turns out you can both. Game definitely violent. Kids must not play. Last word.

It would be a shame to loose those potential players because of a misunderstanding about violence. Don't you think? And at least in Europe violence gives a much higher ESRB rating.

So I guess despite the title I'm not against the knife itself -- as a tool it's perfectly fine. Just don't present it like a weapon please.

Comments

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    LumpN wrote: »
    So I guess despite the title I'm not against the knife itself -- as a tool it's perfectly fine. Just don't present it like a weapon please.

Bingo!

You answered your own huge post with one sentence. From what the devs have been saying so far, its a tool, for hunting and utility and such, rather than getting stabby stabby with all the humans.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    A knife is not always an aggressive, violent instrument. It is also likely the most commonly used multitool used in survival situations.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Beyond the survival tool aspect, I'm pretty sure a knife is standard equipment for most fishermen and divers.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Most expirience divers have knifes for fishermen nets. It's not a standard but ppl tend to have it. Knife is a tool unless You look at it different. Question when You go make a sandwitch do You think about killing the sandwitch? If thay would made a big ass machate i would say its a litle to much, but small knife like this is just perfect will not be misstaken for a weapon.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    There is even a religion called "Knivalism" based on the belief that all the world's problems can be solved by the application of a knife.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    time to cut some fresh sushi
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    I substantially agree with @LumPN, and don't want weapons in Subnautica. @flayra is also very against the idea of any weapons in Subnautica. The degree of anti-violence-in-Subnautica varies across the team but in aggregate is fairly strong.

The knife currently exists as a tool. For example, in the screenshot below (super rough, not a proper gameplay screenshot!), I am using it to cut a kelp stalk to acquire a resource needed to produce a battery.

2014-07-17_000011.jpg

There aren't presently any productive violent applications for the knife - Though some rough prototyping has left it in a state where it will injure creatures. Its primary use is to interact with the environment productively, not destructively.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I agree with the idea that the knife should stay.

I carry a knife with me most places and you never know when it will be useful.

I use it to cut things open, remove lose threads, screw in screws, pry things open, and all manner of non-violent things.

Point is, a knife is better than a multi-tool in most situations, and is honestly a very poor weapon in the grand scheme of things (especially in the ocean)
  • StevejobsStevejobs Canada Join Date: 2020-01-23 Member: 257344Members
    Bruh this is the stupidest post I’ve ever seen
  • masterofyeetmasterofyeet Join Date: 2019-11-25 Member: 255903Members
    Stevejobs wrote: »
    Bruh this is the stupidest post I’ve ever seen

Ik right?
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I'm sure some of the above is satire. :)