In-game IRC client

SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Unreal Tournament 2004 (and probably some of the older ones as well) had an in-game IRC client (and server) where the players could chat with each other independant on which game server they were in - or if they were in the lobby menu or even if they didn't have the game launched and were just in their own regular IRC client / app.
Starcraft and Warcraft had something similar called battle.net (Much different/better from battlenet 2.0)
Twitch.tv's chat today is still based on IRC as well.

Is it possible to get this in NS2 now that the CDT is running the show? Because if so, it could open up a lot of opportunities in terms of organizing scrims, mixes or even gathers/pug's with different players than the regular ENSL/reddit crowd. Not to mention it'd make the whole NS2 experience more social in general.

Comments

• CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe there is a possibility to use steam group-chat?

In-game there could be a button "Chat", which enters players in the same chat room. That would have the added benefit that you can use the steam-functions like "Join on same server as user XY".
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    I guess a steam-group chat would work. I'd personally prefer an IRC chat, because you can easily make user-customized scripts - including a join-user function. You could also join any other IRC channel - for example your favourite twitch streamers channel while playing.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    I just bought Table Top Simulator (freaking excellent game btw guys) on steam summer sale.

Guess what? It has an in-game IRC client!! Win! xD

shameless bump. @SamusDroid‌ @IronHorse‌ @whoeverthefuckelseknowshowtomakethiskindofstuff.
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've always wanted an IRC bot which allows people in a channel to see what's being said in the chat. You could admin the server through the bot, change map, kick people and see when someone joins the server etc. Like a text version of the webadmin!

Actually, I did search one of these bots from these forums and apparently someone made something similar. Unfortunately I had no idea how to make it work, besides, it was rather old.

Make this happen! :p
    Also - Imagine that the in-game chat is connected to an IRC channel. Even if you join a ghost server, you're not alone if the IRC chat is populated by idlers - not to mention that admins can idle the channel without idling in the game!
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Indeed! The idea got a lot of potential. Someone really needs to do this. :D
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited June 2014
    Who the hell is still using IRC ???
    Missed the Web 2.0 ?
    JimWest wrote: »
    Who the hell is still using IRC ???
    Missed the Web 2.0 ?

Uhm.. every single person in twitch chats.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    This would be a waist of (CDT) resources. Organize your own Steam chat, its just a Shift+Tab away. Or Teamspeak with overlay function...
    @_INTER_
    Steam chat requires that everyone joins the group - and that's never going to happen, people are not active in steam chats + you cannot make scripts and bots. IRC desktop clients are fully customizable by the user as well opposed to steam - which alone is reason enough that I'd never use a steam chat function myself.
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So, FYI, I think independent from this thread some people have started using a group chat on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NS2CHAT

There is also a trick to auto-join the chat when you log into steam:
    Short version: Modify a Steam shortcut from C:\somePath\Steam\Steam.exe TO C:\somePath\Steam\Steam.exe steam://friends/joinchat/103582791435104403

A more detailed explanation can be found in the info of the steam group (see link above).

Also make sure to un-check "Beep when users send messages" in the drop-down you find at the top of the chat.

@Jason_‌
    edited July 2014
    You can just use " steam://friends/joinchat/103582791435104403 " - no reason to make it more complicated.

But that works I guess, I'd just really prefer IRC for the reasons stated above.